Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my options

tag
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

What are my options

Ok, So back in March of 07 I went to the dr for a sinus infection.  I have health insurance therefore paid my co-pay, my insurance covers the rest at 100% (in Network).  Well for some reason the insurance company coded it as out of network and therefore I was liable for charges because I hadn't met my deductible yet.  I was in a bad place then wasn't financially responsible.  FFWD to last year the account has laid dormant on my CR since march of 08.  Last October I disputed the claim that It should have been paid. they verified and hit me with a KD.  Tanked my score. Then In DEC I mailed them a PFD, got a letter stating they don't accept payments with those terms.

So after some digging and several several calls to my insurance company & the dr's office and being told that they're not going to pay a claim that old. the insurance company FINALLY PAID. They should have to begin with. 

The CA contacted me stating that they had received the payment and will update it as paid in full.  I asked that it be deleted since obviously it wasn't my fault they said "that's not goanna happen"

What steps can I take to get this removed? I don't feel a GW will do me any good.  Since it was an insurance error and if they'd paid like they were supposed to I wouldn't be going through this.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: What are my options

Hi there - good luck on this one.  I have a ton (well, 8) of medical collections that I can't get rid   of.  I've tried every single thing I've read about here.  The "smalltown" collection agencies refused to budge in my case.  My latest stunt was a report to the BBB bc most of them are my husband's medical, and I don't think they can report his stuff on my reports.  I guess we'll see.

However, I was able to get others deleted (3 medical/1utility).  So not all hope is lost. 

I sincerely wish you much better luck than I had!  Smiley Happy

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 10
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

There's gotta be something that I could try...besides a collapsible baton...Anybody???

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrmagic9799 wrote:

There's gotta be something that I could try...besides a collapsible baton...Anybody???

Are you sure it was their fault and they should have paid from the beginning?  Any evidence or written admission from the insurance company?

You could sue them in small claims court.  You would have to show actual damages, but that could by from an increased interest rate on a credit account you applied for or a turned-down credit application.  Once they get served they will probably go ahead and do as you have asked.

Message 4 of 10
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mrmagic9799 wrote:

Are you sure it was their fault and they should have paid from the beginning?  Any evidence or written admission from the insurance company?

You could sue them in small claims court.  You would have to show actual damages, but that could by from an increased interest rate on a credit account you applied for or a turned-down credit application.  Once they get served they will probably go ahead and do as you have asked.

Well they went back and paid a claim from March 2007..  The clinic is and ALWAYS has been in network.  The claims dept said they don't see how it was overlooked. But the fact that an insurance co went back and paid it should be all the admissions I need.  Who should I take to small claims court the CA?

Message 5 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

I cringe when I read stuff like 'I dont think a GW will work' --

GW letters take virtually no effort, and to assume they won't work, especially in a situation like this is foolish in my opinion. You have paid, they are marking it as paid in full. They will get no money from you, ever at this point..

Even collections companies, even as heart less as they appear, can waiver and change their mind.. sending a nice letter explaining how it happened, and entering into the right hands, can get what you want accomplished, all for 44 cents or an email.. the CSR rep you have spoken to is trained to say what he said to you.

why not try before assuming it 'wont work'..

with that said, 06's advice is right on the money.. if you can prove it is hurting you, and that insurance company should have handled this, suing will probably get them to delete.. they don't want to deal with you in court, especially since it takes 1 second to delete a listing..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrmagic9799 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mrmagic9799 wrote:

Well they went back and paid a claim from March 2007..  The clinic is and ALWAYS has been in network.  The claims dept said they don't see how it was overlooked. But the fact that an insurance co went back and paid it should be all the admissions I need.  Who should I take to small claims court the CA?

Whoever is reporting the derogatory on your credit report.  I would also include the insurance company / original creditor as they will immediately put pressure on the CA when they are served.

Message 7 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Who said "GW won't work?"

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

Who said "GW won't work?"

"What steps can I take to get this removed? I don't feel a GW will do me any good.  Since it was an insurance error and if they'd paid like they were supposed to I wouldn't be going through this."

Message 9 of 10
casmith1980
Established Contributor

GW, GW, GW.  Seriously.  what's a few letters going to hurt? 

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.