Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are "New Accounts"?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are "New Accounts"?

What in asking is how long does an account have to be in your CR before it's no longer considered a "New Account"?

Because in mine it's showing 12 "New Accounts" and I really do not believe I've opened up that many accounts within the last year or so. This factor makes up 10% of my FICO score so just wondering.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are "New Accounts"?

@Anonymous wrote:
What in asking is how long does an account have to be in your CR before it's no longer considered a "New Account"?

Because in mine it's showing 12 "New Accounts" and I really do not believe I've opened up that many accounts within the last year or so. This factor makes up 10% of my FICO score so just wondering.

I believe accounts are considered "mature" when they hit three years old.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So for FICO scoring any account under 3 years old will ding you?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So for FICO scoring any account under 3 years old will ding you?

No, look at it the other way around - you get a boost when they age past three. Credit is almost entirely about two things - perfect payment history and TIME. Low balances are a big part as well...

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by BOA that after 6 months the accounts mean less and after a year the computer no longer considers it a "new account" unless it's chase! Chase doesn't play around.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.