cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I do next to improve my credit? (Credit report included)

tag
Insomnia
Established Member

What can I do next to improve my credit? (Credit report included)

After having a couple of baddies drop off, here is my updated credit report - http://wikisend.com/download/323638/cr.txt

What can be done to improve this?  I'm trying to rebuild / establish my credit so I can accomplish getting an actual credit card and eventually a home one day.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Re: What can I do next to improve my credit? (Credit report included)

If you have an additional 200-300 dollars right now...get a secured card. 

What are your scores? You MAY be able to apply for the Cap One secured which in most cases is only partially secured. Meaning that you actually only have to pay $49 or $99 upfront and you get a $200 limit 

Some secured cards like BofA you put up the exact amount you want on the card. So if you want $300 limit, you put up $300. In 12 months, if you pay ON TIME for 12 months, BofA is pretty consistant with automatically graduating you to an unsecured card. They will give your your deposit back and BAM! you've now got an unsecured card. 

Cap One as well...pay on time EVERYTIME and you will be able to qualify for their higher limit unsecured cards. 

Starting Score: (FICO)(August 29, 2013) 502(EQ) 568(EX) 549(TU)
Current Score: (FICO) (January 28, 2017) 712(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)
Goal Score: 720(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 2 of 12
Insomnia
Established Member

I haven't bought my credit scores on myfico, but I do have an account with credit karma and quizzle. 

I saved these scores to a notepad file, but I forgot which sites I got them from -

Equifax 618
Experian 624
TransUnion 604

and...

Experian 555 -562(?)
Equifax 660
Transunion 0

I tried applying for a Cap One secured card last month, but they won't do the partial thing with $49-$99 down.  I've been declined for a few store cards too, including - Walmart, Target, Victoria's Secret.    I was young and stupid years ago and racked up those two emergency doctor bills because I didn't have health insurance after I moved out with my fiance at the time.    It just feels odd that I can't even obtain a simple store card when a lot of other people can. 

Message 3 of 12
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately in order to get credit you have to have credit. So, once you've had a secured card or two and used them responsibly for about six months you will probably see some of those store cards opening their doors for you.
Message 4 of 12
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Ha! It's funny that you think it's odd. It's not odd AT ALL. 

You made mistakes and you are here now to fix them. 

So Cap One wouldn't approve you for the 49 or 99 but can you afford to spare $200 right now?  

If so...GET A SECURED CARD NOW! OpenSky doesn't even do a credit check so you will MOST CERTAINLY get that one. 

SDFCU doesn't do hard pull so you'll get that one too and that one seems to be highly recommended. You should DEF. get a secured card so you can get on the right path now and allow those to be your path back into credit worthiness. 

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 5 of 12
Insomnia
Established Member

I will definitely apply and put down my deposit for a secured card at my Credit Union this week.  It seems this will be the only way to build my records.

As for the unpaid doctor bills, do you know what I should be about them?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Message 6 of 12
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Doctor or ER bills?

Message 7 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I looked over your CR that you posted.  It seems that you have a FH account that's in good standing, and a few collections.  I would attempt to do PFDs for the unpaid debts.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 12
Insomnia
Established Member

They are ER bills.  Sorry for the confusion...  Smiley Embarassed

Shogun, I will definitely look into the PFD option.  Does that work for ER medical bills as well?

Message 9 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Insomnia wrote:

They are ER bills.  Sorry for the confusion...  Smiley Embarassed

Shogun, I will definitely look into the PFD option.  Does that work for ER medical bills as well?

I've actually found that medical bills are easier to deal with then others, might just be me, but I had all mine removed via GWs.

Anyway, yes, I would send a PFD for those.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.