cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I do?

tag
matt5566

What can I do?

I'm looking into buying a home through a USDA Guaranteed mortgage. Unfortunately, my credit sucks. I have a satisfied judgement from April of 2007, and 4 paid medical collections from December of 2011. I have no credit cards currently, but have a capital one secured card on the way. My credit history shows my electric bill and auto loan, which I have never had a late payment on. The only current FICO score I have is expedia, and it is 583. Any recommendations for me to get my credit up before the house I'm looking at slips through my hand? Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
matt5566

Re: What can I do?

Stupid auto correct, experian, not expedia.
Message 2 of 7
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Maybe get a credit card....secured or otherwise. your credit file is very thin. you have no mix of credit types.
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Before apping for credit cards, you might want to first address the five major derogs, as they may be a big factor in the type and amount of credit you may be able to obtain.

Check the actual date that the judgment was entered by the court.  It will become excluded no later than 7 years from that date.

As for the paid collections, I would shoot out some requests fro GW deletion based on their payment.

Message 4 of 7
matt5566

Thanks for the help! The judgement was filed on 4/16/2007, so it should be taken off by April 16 2014, right? I also just sent out goodwill letters, and am really hoping they work. 3 of the accounts are at the same collection agency, so I hope they're feeling nice when they get my letter.
Message 5 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Before apping for credit cards, you might want to first address the five major derogs, as they may be a big factor in the type and amount of credit you may be able to obtain.

Check the actual date that the judgment was entered by the court.  It will become excluded no later than 7 years from that date.

As for the paid collections, I would shoot out some requests fro GW deletion based on their payment.

+1

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, however dont use the date they filed their suit, use the date the court entered their judgment.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.