cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card to apply with? Cap1, BOA and Disco out.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card to apply with? Cap1, BOA and Disco out.

I was already approved for a Cap1 Secured. I have a $200 limit.

I am on BOA and Disco's crap list from almost 10 years ago. There are judgements that show on CreditKarma so I doubt they will approve me for a secured.

Any other suggestions? It doesn't seem like there are any other secured cards anyone likes and I"m not going to get approved for non-secured unless maybe a store card. My score on Credit Karma is only 633. I went down a few points after opening Cap1 but it should be going up again.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card to apply with? Cap1, BOA and Disco out.

Have you tried going to a local credit union?

And here's a decent list:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-Secured-Cards-that-Graduate/m-p/4912438#M1434522

Message 2 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

What is your Fico scores? If you don't have them, try the 7 day trial from creditchecktotal.com to see what they are
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go with a credit union, personally.
Only other 'big' bank would be Citi secured
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't you need to bank with a credit union? I was denied a checking account with one a few years ago and never tried again.

633 on Credit Wise and Credit Karma. Not sure real scores but since Cap1 is my only card then it's probably not worth pulling yet.

There doesn't seem to be enough good reviews on Citi Secured to be out $200 for 18 months. Someone said they do a hard pull every month and will close it if they see something they don't like.. lol

I'm hoping the BOA and Disco judgements fall off next year when it shows they will but I know that can go either way.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a 621 score on Cap1 credit wise, and 621 TU /612 EQ on credit karma. However, my fico scores are all 590s on credit check total. I have gotten a cap1 QS1 unsecured w/$500sl and I also signed up with NFCU Checking and savings + cash rewards card/$1600sl.

I also have a citibank charge off on report.

I also think a credit union is going to be your best bet. If you are worried about rejection, call in advance, ask for an account officer and they should be able to tell you if they check credit and what the minimum scoring requirements are.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't you need to bank with a credit union? I was denied a checking account with one a few years ago and never tried again.

633 on Credit Wise and Credit Karma. Not sure real scores but since Cap1 is my only card then it's probably not worth pulling yet.

There doesn't seem to be enough good reviews on Citi Secured to be out $200 for 18 months. Someone said they do a hard pull every month and will close it if they see something they don't like.. lol

I'm hoping the BOA and Disco judgements fall off next year when it shows they will but I know that can go either way.

You need to be a member, which typically means you have to have a share savings account. No idea which of them look at chexsystems, though, and if they will deny an account based on previous bank account abuse.

Citi does not do a hard pull every month. That would be illegal.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Had to alter this because I saw your second post where you say those judgments will fall off your credit reports next year).

The most important thing you need to do is to get your complete FICO credit reports from the three CRA's, and not rely on CreditWise and Credit Karma, which use Vantage Score, which is a different scoring model. VS is useful for learning purposes and things like apartment rental/leasing, but it's very much second fiddle to FICO. Your FICO scores will be different from your Vantage scores and might even be better depending on the CRA, which is why I advise you to get all three because the scores won't be identical and different lenders will use different CRA's.

One important thing you need to keep in mind is that the impact of negative items on your credit reports lessens over time. Those judgments are quite old by now, 6 years old if I interpret correctly, so those won't necessarily hurt you as much as you think they will. Also, I would strongly advise you to call BoA and Discover and talk to real, live people about your situation - indeed, if you have a BoA branch near you, I'd go down there and speak to someone in person. It's always better to talk directly to someone, particularly someone who has the authority to do something for you, than to rely on a computer algorithm or an online-chat rep.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was already approved for a Cap1 Secured. I have a $200 limit.

I am on BOA and Disco's crap list from almost 10 years ago. There are judgements that show on CreditKarma so I doubt they will approve me for a secured.

Any other suggestions? It doesn't seem like there are any other secured cards anyone likes and I"m not going to get approved for non-secured unless maybe a store card. My score on Credit Karma is only 633. I went down a few points after opening Cap1 but it should be going up again.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.