Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card would you start with?

tag
Loques
Regular Contributor

What card would you start with?

Hi all,

My SO is trying to rebuild their credit and wondering which rebuilder card to start with. All 3 scores via myFICO are at 600. Many baddies but no open revolving credit. The last CC was open in 2010. Did the pre-qual with Cap1 and was pre-qualified for the Cap1 Platinum and Cap1 Quiksilver One Rewards.

They are really looking for a card that will grow with them. What would you suggest?

Current Score (11/2020): EQ: 753 | TU: 731 | EX: 749---Starting Score (3/2010): EQ: 522 | TU: 525 | EX: 520---Goal: All 3 FICO 800+
--------------------
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card would you start with?

I personally have the Cap1 Quiksilver One Rewards card and it's a pretty good card for rebuilding.  I don't plan on keeping it much longer though as my interest rate is 22.9% and the annual fee is $36.  I got the card with a credit score of around 600 but I'm in better shape now and asked for new terms like a higher limit and better rate and they've been a little on the stingy side so I may ultimately take my business elsewhere. Good card for starting out or starting over tho. 

Message 2 of 10
Loques
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply. My experience with Cap1 was usually a 500 CL when I started out rebuilding. What was your starting limit?

Current Score (11/2020): EQ: 753 | TU: 731 | EX: 749---Starting Score (3/2010): EQ: 522 | TU: 525 | EX: 520---Goal: All 3 FICO 800+
--------------------
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get both Smiley Happy

I have both cards, my CLI's have been faster with my QS though

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for both, one immediately after the other, same browser session.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loques wrote:

Thanks for the reply. My experience with Cap1 was usually a 500 CL when I started out rebuilding. What was your starting limit?

Same as you, a nice $500 limit. I was more than happy to start with $500 as I really had no choice.  Beggars with a 500 credit score can't be choosers lol

Message 6 of 10
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

I agree with everyone who said apply for both Cap1 cards. I started rebuilding with both and my QS1 card has already been increaked to $3K limit and I'm not on the third statement yet (that will cut next week).

Message 7 of 10
jbsea
Established Contributor

I would take both cap1 cards.  it would be hard to find a card that will grow with you much when you have a 600 credit score.  I think that is why I have so many cards because as my score grows I wanted the next thing that it would allow me to have.  For the record I would not suggest that anyone get as many cards as I have gotten in the last year.......

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the cap 1 platinum and they gave me a $500 limit and from what I understand they are great to start with and build some credit history. 

Message 9 of 10
Loques
Regular Contributor

@Loques wrote:

Hi all,

My SO is trying to rebuild their credit and wondering which rebuilder card to start with. All 3 scores via myFICO are at 600. Many baddies but no open revolving credit. The last CC was open in 2010. Did the pre-qual with Cap1 and was pre-qualified for the Cap1 Platinum and Cap1 Quiksilver One Rewards.

They are really looking for a card that will grow with them. What would you suggest?

Just a little update: We decided not to go with Capital One (I personally have not had impressive experiences with them). We went with the NFCU secured card (we bank with them) with a $500 limit. Scores have already jumped 40-60 points across all 3 CRBs for having the revolver open and taking care of a few baddies! The plan is to apply for an unsecured card at 1 year once scores are in the upper 600s and some of the other baddies are taken care of.

--------------------
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.