Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do I do now?

Hey guys,

I recently was told by myfico that a collections was added to my account (which had a huge impact on a already messed up credit score).  The debt was from 2010 from AT&T (early termination fee) and it seems they caught wind of me having paid back my credit card debt.  Anyway I requested a validation of debt as I have never even heard from this debt collection agency regarding this debt until they hit me with a collections.  They sent me the validation and I proceeded to send them a pay for delete in which I stated I would be willing to pay in full for the deletion and if they accepted to sign it and send it back.  Well they replied with the following:

Thank you for your inquiry.  Unfortunately, our agency would not be able to delete the account from the credit bureaus entirely as we are required to report the accurate standing of the account per FCRA guidelines. If an account is paid-in-full, it would reflect as such with a zero balance remaining. You can make a one-time payment or schedule multiple payments by viewing the attached tutorial. 

Now I am at a loss with what would be the best course of action?  Should I agree to just pay it off in full and have the collections remain or try again? This collections is a huge negative report (-30 to -50 points).  Just when I thought I was on the right track to rebuilding my credit I run into this.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
hoff33
New Contributor

Re: What do I do now?

I had luck with calling AT&T asking them to retract the bill, paid the guy on the phone right then and the collection account was then removed. So you could try calling AT&T about that option. If they cant do that for you, paying the collection will not change your score. Good news is it will hopefully fall off in about 2 years. You could also try disputing with each cb and see if that has them remove it because it is so old. Honestly though, your best bet is to call ATT and pay them. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention that although AT&T is the original creditor, the agency that sent the file into collections and currently holds the debt is called Enhanced Recovery Company, LLC. Would I try to contact the debt collector or AT&T?

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I forgot to mention that although AT&T is the original creditor, the agency that sent the file into collections and currently holds the debt is called Enhanced Recovery Company, LLC. Would I try to contact the debt collector or AT&T?

You contact AT&T first, ask them to recall the collection then you pay off AT&T directly once they agree.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so I should contact AT&T and try to come to an agreement?

Just to clarify even though Enhanced Recovery submitted the collections and owns the debt right now, if I pay the debt to AT&T would that make the debt owned by Enhanced Recovery null and void? Or can Enhanced Recovery attempt to keep collecting once I pay off AT&T?

Sorry for all these questions.

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I should contact AT&T and try to come to an agreement?

Just to clarify even though Enhanced Recovery submitted the collections and owns the debt right now, if I pay the debt to AT&T would that make the debt owned by Enhanced Recovery null and void? Or can Enhanced Recovery attempt to keep collecting once I pay off AT&T?

Sorry for all these questions.

I suggest you call ATT and see if you can deal with them, if they say they cant because its been sold then you have to deal with the JDB. If they refuse the PFD and its past your states SOL just let them sit on if some more, every day that goes by your hand becomes stronger...  Just because Enchanced is collecting doesnt necissarily mean they own the debt. If you pay ATT and they agree to recall Enchanced thats it its paid and there no longer is a collection any further attempts would be a violation of law...
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in sand situation. With ERC and AT&T. . Pay AT&T directly. Then dispute the collection by ERC. Theyou fold quick
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys so much for the quick and helpful responses.  I'm going to try to contact AT&T directly and with the advice I've been given feel much more confident moving forward.  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.