cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do with this collection that just appeared on credit report?

tag
delaney1
Established Contributor

What do I do with this collection that just appeared on credit report?

This is the info that just appeared on the CK report and I have no idea what this could be: open May 13, 2011, last report 4/6/2016, medical , balance $154..,collection company Natuonwide recovery services.  Do I need to contact them for debt validation? Should I get my annual free report to see if there's any additional information. If it was opened in 2011 then the 5 yr statute of limitations is about to expire(5years in. Fl for written contracts) should I wait til May to do anything or dispute with credit bureau. It's showing on Equifax, not transunion. I have not received anything in the mail. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: What do I do with this collection that just appeared on credit report?

At this point I'd wait a month and then contact them and ask them what it is for.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A DV request will remain timely until the debt collector has sent dunning notice,which then sets a 30-day period in which a timely DV must be sent.

I concur.... wait for expiration of SOL unless you receive a dunning notice that sets a period that requries you send the DV earlier.

Then send a DV, requesting an itemiization of the debt, verification of its accuracy, and the name of the original creditor.

As an aside, if you live in a state that has enhanced debt validation requirments above that of the federal FDCPA, such as TX, CA, oe NY, then you may wish to send any dV undr those statutes or regs rather than under the broader federal DV statute set forth at FDCPA 809(b).

Message 3 of 4
delaney1
Established Contributor

Thanks for your responses.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.