Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do I do?

Here's the situation I have an old medical bill for 2900 that's went to collection. Neither the OC or the CA were reporting to CRA's. I decided to make a payment plan with CA so it would not end up in a judgement. ( the OC would not work with me they said to go through the CA) also the bill is now in the amount of almost 3900) so I made the first payment and now they are reporting the the CRA'S. Only reporting on ex and eq not TU. I cannot PIF or PFD. I don't have it. So what are my options here? They did not send a written payment arrangement. So maybe I can send them one to sign saying they wont share info with 3rd party? Or should I send gw saying that now that I am attempting to pay this debt I'm being penalized? What do u all think? On a side note- the ca ( the oc never reported) is rePorting the original balane ( the 2900 and they are saying my last payment was 241 when I paid 400)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: What do I do?

How old is the bill?

If it's past SoL (and if you didn't reset it by paying them - that will depend on your state), I'd send them a note saying that you want to make good on your debt but you can't see your way clear to do that when they punish you for doing so.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If I had that I would continue making payments as scheduled or promised (if you made an agreement on the phone with them) and agressively save up on the side for a future PFD.

You can send them a request to delete or a request not to report, but they don't have to honor it. They probably won't agree to a GW if unpaid.

Medical OCs never report (or at least I never have seen any mentions of one reporting).

ETA....slow typer again!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not sol. It's a year old. It's an insurance deductible. The reason I'm paying it off now is to try to avoid a judgement. It's with one of those law firm collection places. Williams & something. Problem is on my ex its dropped my score 20 pts. There not a whole lot I can do as I can't afford to PFD or even close to it. I can't even do 60% right now so I'm stuck with payments. I'm considering sending my own payment arrangement letter with wording saying that as long as the payment are made as agree that they won't verify to cra. The other option is to send a gw letter with payment saying that now that I am trying to pay this debt I feel like I'm being punished for it and blah blah sob story. Or I'll have to wait until I can PFD. Not sure which to do
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: if they agreed to delete or not verify that doesn't mean that they can ever report again does it? The reason I ask is if I say that the delete or not verify only if payment are being paid as agreed but they reserve the right to report at any time in the future if I default on the agreement? Also there is the issue of the incorrect reporting on my cra. They have the amounts list as the OC amounts. Not what I am paying on. There bills to me are over 1000 more than what they are reporting as owed. And the last payment made was 200 more than they show. Can I get it off my report for reporting incorrectly or does a ca report the OC balance on medical bills?
Message 5 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

You can ask them to update the balance, sure. 

Why not write them a letter and saying that you had started paying them with the understanding that it would remain off of your reports, and that since they started reporting after you started paying them, you don't see a good justification to reward them for punishing you?  Tell them you are considering this reporting a breach of your agreement and that you will resume payments when it's back off of your reports.  Since none of it was in writing to begin with, it's still he-said she-said...I wouldn't expect a place that wasn't reporting me yet to start reporting me if I started payment arrangements with them before they started reporting. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I absolutely agree regarding the reporting. Thing is I don't want to go to hard nose with this as they can still go for a judgement at any time and I can't pay it in full and I REALLY can't have a judgement so I'm looking to go sugar before vinegar. So I don't think I will ad the breach of contract line as I don't want them tO say well scr@w u then. So I'm going to make up to letters. One payment agreement and one as a gw of sorts and I'll post them so I can get some feedback. Tyvm
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.