cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to do to be mortgage ready in 8 months?

tag
mynamemightbetim
Established Member

What do I need to do to be mortgage ready in 8 months?

1) I successfully PFD'd my student loan collection. 

2) My medical collection should supposedly come off my credit sometime this month.

3) My student loan lates are going no where. They are with AES and even if I get a backdated deferment to when my other loans with the dept of ed were deferred they have a clause on their paper that says no negative information will be removed and I have contacted them several times with no luck. They have been refinanced for a year next month, and as of July first it will be a year since I have had ANY late payments at all. 

So my credit was at around 600, the highest score I had was 626 that an auto lender pulled (told me that he did not use "auto enhanced" scores when I asked).

I bought a new truck in April for 33k, after selling my other truck and paying off that loan two years early. 

OK. So I wanted to buy a house last summer, when I looked at my atrocious scores I decided to wait for this summer. My credit rose and stalled around 600 in January, but after that truck loan and payoff of the other one, it dropped 21 points to 579! and nothing else changed on my reports. 

I figured, well I have nothing to loose and it would probably look good if I had some revolving action on my credit report, so just last night I applied for and got approved for a Capital One secured card of $200... the score estimator on myFICO tells me that this could raise my score 40 points? I don't know if that's possible, but even just a small increase would be great.  

I do have 5 hard inquires (one from a mortgage last year, one from Snap-On last fall, one from my truck in april, and one from the Cap 1 secured card) Another is from my mom trying to "help" me improve my credit and apply me without my knowledge for a credit card that I would not get approved for--- is there anyway I can dispute that one?

Ok so, fellow credit-improvers. What are the steps that I should take in order to make myself mortgage ready for the end of the year-ish? I really want to buy a house so we don't have to keep renting. It is getting so frustrating. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Re: What do I need to do to be mortgage ready in 8 months?

The card will help alot. But some gum or candy Have it report 2 bucks by the end of this month.

What kind of mortgage are you going for? Do you have the down-payment?
Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 2 of 4
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

The card will help alot. Buy some gum or candy Have it report 2 bucks by the end of this month.

What kind of mortgage are you going for? Do you have the down-payment?
Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 3 of 4
mynamemightbetim
Established Member

Going for an USDA (or FHA as a fall back) we have a downpayment but it'll only be about 18% of the price ranges were looking at. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.