Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I tell Midland?

tag
ALD22
New Contributor

What do I tell Midland?

So I sent a PFD letter and got a voicemail from someone with midland. What do I do if they don't accept a PFD? Tell them I will not pay unless it is deleted? I just don't know what to say to them, help please!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
hendersj31
Valued Member

Re: What do I tell Midland?

I tried telling them that.  They don't care.  Mine was for a rather small amount, so maybe if it were higher they would budge....

Plenty of posts on here about how difficult PFD is with Midland.  I ended up paying and just sent them a goodwill letter last week asking to delete since I paid in full.  I doubt they will delete it but I will keep trying. 

I realize this does not help but wanted to share my experience. 

Message 2 of 9
ALD22
New Contributor

I'm just so nervous on how to handle them. I'm not a very firm person. Its for $1400 and I offered to pay half. The thing is they called me in September and I worked out a payment plan with them and they never took the payment out of my account.

Message 3 of 9
Tempted2Pull
New Contributor

To go to hell! 

Starting Score {July 30,2012}: TU 586 EQ 535 EX 583
Current Score: My Fico EQ 635 Walmart TU08 640 MyFico TU04 682 My Fico EX 628 (lender pull 09/12)
Road 2 Recovery: Patience - Persistence - Perseverance

Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
hendersj31
Valued Member

How old is the debt?

If it is not falling off your report any time soon I would negotiate as low a payment as possible if they won't do a PFD.  Also make sure they agree to mark PAID in FULL and not paid for a lesser amount. 

It would benfit you to work on being firm with them.  You are dealing with real people and you never know, you may get someone who is willing to help you out or make an exception. 

Message 5 of 9
ALD22
New Contributor

the account was opened in 2008, I stopped making payments in Jan 2012 because my husband lost his job.

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would not recommend becoming confrontational, or threatening not to pay.

If the debt is legit and they have authorized authority to collect on the debt, either as a agent of the creditor if the creditor still owns the debt, or as the current owner, they are conducting legitimate collection activities.

They have every right to decline credit report deletion as a condition for payment.  Just continue persuasion efforts until you are sure that both sides are exhausted.

A threat not to pay a legitimate debt is not something I would want presented to a judge should they bring legal action.

With the debt being so recent, SOL has likely not expired, so legal action is an option of theirs.  Ticking them off is not a wise move.

I would also determine whether they now own the debt, or are just an agent for the creditor.  You may be able to strike a deal with the OC if they still own the debt.

Message 7 of 9
ALD22
New Contributor

I don't want to be confrontational, but I don't want to just give in either. The debt is legit, but they have added fees and all of these extra charges on top of what I owed to the OC. I think I'll try to kill them with kindness first. I know I am basically asking a huge favor for them to PFD.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I haven't had any luck with Midland.  I had 2 accounts with them that were rather large amounts.  I tried everything to get them to accept PFD.  There standard offer is 40%, but I was able to talk them down to 50%.  I have also tried to GW them with no sucess.  I would certainly try to PFD, you never know unless you try!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.