cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do when CCs & CRAs don't talk to each other???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you do when CCs & CRAs don't talk to each other???

It has now been one month since DH and I defeated Chase. Since that time, we have been patiently waiting for the "collection/paid after charge off" notation to be reversed to "paid/closed/never late". It will be grrrreat for DH's score.
But... it hasn't happened yet. Chase swears they reported on 17 April and 2 June. All three CRAs say they haven't received anything from Chase updating this account since the first week of April. Chase says to call the CRAs and ask for an update of this account. The CRAs say they can't pull an update if Chase isn't sending one, and Chase needs to send an update for them to pull it. Round and round and round we go.

We have actually run into this scenario quite frequently.. Sallie Mae is saying it too. They updated EX twice with a request to remove the lates, but EX says they haven't gotten an update from SM since mid-April.

Is there any way to stop the finger-pointing and get something done??? I'm esp concerned about the Chase card, because it still shows as a REPO/FORECLOSURE (how is that possible on a CC??) for every month of the past two years through March.. we really want it fixed, and fixed fast.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DustyStash
Valued Member

Re: What do you do when CCs & CRAs don't talk to each other???

Here's a simple solution I use almost every time. I don't bother to wait for the creditors to update thru the tapes to the bureaus. It just ends up in the same problem you're having now .. and they end up giving you the same silly answers that you're getting as well. "We don't talk to creditors sir" " We don't call the bureaus sir"  blah blah. Its always call the other guy and tell him to re-report, request update etc etc. Useless.

Just ask the creditor or CA to send YOU a letter directly either by mail or fax, stating the account should be updated to show .. paid/closed/never late .. or whatever it is that you agreed to. Then take that letter and mail or fax to the bureaus. I generally fax my letters, as mail can take quite a few weeks before they get them and do anything.  Simple solution.

I've heard all kinds of people on here saying, NEVER EVER call a CA, never do anything by fax etc etc. I've been breaking all of these rules for 10 years now, and really never had any problems whatsoever. A few hiccups, but nothing major. Otherwise you'll be stuck playing the same game you have been the past month, and it sucks ;o). best wishes

sparky
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dusty-
We haven't done that with the Chase b/c under the "Re" it only has the last 4 digits of the account number. We're concerned the CRAs won't accept it since full acc't number isn't listed.

For the SM, the letter never directly references the lates! There were 6 incorrect lates from 2005-2006 and when we wrote to SM giving them the info so they could be deleted, they wrote back.. the acc't number is listed on the reports, but for the specific late payments (there were two from 2003 that are not included) being deleted, it only says "regarding the late payment notations referenced in your letter, they will be deleted." So, it doesn't say specifically which lates will be deleted & we don't think the CRAs will accept this, either.

Any suggestions?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

disputes.....if chase really has fixed it when the CRA contacts chase they will get the new info.

I know most disputes are frivolous as they get you nowhere when you and the creditor disagree but when you both agree and the CRA doesn't you might get a better response.
Message 4 of 5
DustyStash
Valued Member

Ivy, The bureaus should be ok accepting a letter even if it is only showing the last 4 of an account number. I've sent them many like this myself. They understand why creditors mask part of the number. The bureaus themselves do it as well. A human over there will easily be able to go down your list and find chase, and then quickly just verify the last 4 on the account. It will be even easier if its your ONLY Chase account. So don't worry about the CRA's not accepting the letter. I can't ever recall having that problem in 10 years or so now.

Just remember, the bureaus are like robots, they need very specific instructions and information. So make sure any letters youre sending them from creditors are specific, and stating exactly what you want them to do. If you feel something is vague or left out, inaccurate etc., then you need to get back to the OC/CA and ask them to draft out another, more specific letter.

With regards to SM, you can do one of two things. you can either fax or mail the CRA's not only the letter you received back from SM, but also a copy of the letter that you originally sent to SM regarding the lates. That way even though SM's letter is somewhat vague, the CRA's can match it to your original letter as well and fill in the blanks. It's definitely worth a shot.

OR, call back SM again and say hey you sent this letter, but its not specific enough, can someone just take a quick minute or so and mention specifically which lates are to be deleted. I've done these things dozens and dozens of times, and most places are willing to work with you until youre satisfied. If not, I always ask for a supervisor and keep pressing the issue until its resolved to my satisfaction. these are 2 very simple issues in the grand scheme of credit repair.

So Definitely work on these 2 issues because they will most certainly help your scores. Also, when you get these letters ready to send to the bureaus, call the CRA's and ask them for their fax number so you can send in a "deletion letter" . Mail will usually take a few weeks for these places to receive it and work on it. Most CRA's are behind 1-2 weeks with past mail. Faxing is always much quicker as they usually work on it within a few days, if not immediately.  Any other issues along the way, let us know. 

sparky  =o) 
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.