Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean??

tag
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

What does this mean??

I have been going rounds with HSBC on an old credit card.  I KNOW I paid it off before the alleged charge-off date, they have it as a charge off, and sold to Portfolio Recovery. 

Then today, there was an update to the HSBC tradeline on my Transunion report.  The old reporting was:

Charged off as bad debt
Purchased by another lender

The new reporting is:

Payment after charge off/collection

So does this mean that they're now agreeing that it's been paid off, just arguing with me over whether it was before or after the charge-off? 

Also- if this is what they're saying, then how the heck do I get Portfolio Recovery off my tail?? 

Sorry if I ramble in my confusion.... 

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: What does this mean??

How old? what was the DOFD? Do you have copies with the DOFD of yyour report? Do you have prood of payment? Check Card?? Did you pay the original creditor?

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 12
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

How old? what was the DOFD? Do you have copies with the DOFD of yyour report? Do you have prood of payment? Check Card?? Did you pay the original creditor?

Ugh!! Sorry!  The update was to the HSBC tradeline, not the Portfolio.  HSBC is alleging charge-off in 2009, and since I moved I lost the money order documents from back then Smiley Sad  So then today they updated it to showing paid after charge-off.  This is still wrong, but at least they are showing that it's been paid!! (I think??) 

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 3 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@bmblbg wrote:

I have been going rounds with HSBC on an old credit card.  I KNOW I paid it off before the alleged charge-off date, they have it as a charge off, and sold to Portfolio Recovery.  Then today, there was an update to my Transunion report.  The old reporting was:

Charged off as bad debt
Purchased by another lender

The new reporting is:

Payment after charge off/collection

So does this mean that they're now agreeing that it's been paid off, just arguing with me over whether it was before or after the charge-off? 

Also- if this is what they're saying, then how the heck do I get Portfolio Recovery off my tail?? 

Sorry if I ramble in my confusion.... 

Yes, they are saying it was paid after CO.  They should also recall the debt from the CA as it was already paid before the CA got it.

I would send the OC a direct dispute under the FCRA.  They have to respond and correct any errors they may have made.

Message 4 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

+1 Listen I say this all the time its extremely old school.  Go to staple and get two binders. One for credit reports and collection stuff. make tabs file everything. Save for the rest of your life!  Binder # 2 include all utility mortgage cc loans . Keep this for life. ZOmbie debt collectors make us have to do this. I know in your new house you have room for two binders.  Contact the atty or OC of Judgement. DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT SSAY you are trying to by a home!!!!! Explain that you are trying to satisfy debt ask for complete removal of judgement. That means that they vacate the motion.  Wait 3 months or more for house. 2 reasons even if interest rates go up itll be slight until may 2013 and even if house prices go up Which they usually dont in feb march april not till school closes and more buyers are out. You will stay reap more benefits from holding off a bit. The amount you will =save over course of loan will be substantial. YOUr score should move significantly is you can get it vacated. What is your score and credit profile?

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can always send a direct dispute, but it most likely will not provide the resollution you seek without also bringing civil action.

I agree that if the debt was paid prior to a charge-off, then they had no delinquent debt on their books to charge-off.

Additionally, if no debt at the time of their collection referral, then the collection would also become moot.

If they did a charge-off, they almost assuredly included that in their next tax filing, and recouped a tax writeoff for the bad debt.  So if they aquiesce in agreement that the charge-off was improper, they would have an obligation to correct their filings with the IRS.  Ergo, their apparent reluctance to acquiesce..

In response to a dispute, they are required to conduct a reasonable investigation and truthfully state based on those results that they verify the accuracy, or correct or delete the inaccurate reporting.  The dispute process does not compel them to provide documentation to support their verification.  But it is a representation that they have investigated and found it accurate.

To compel them to produce their documentation of date of payment vs date of charge-off, which is the crux of the matter, you can bring civil action, and get it before a court, where the legal discovery process will compel them to provide you that documentation.  If their documentation supports your position, they will have a double problem.  They will lose the civil action, and additionally subject themselves to an addiitional charge on your part that they knowingly violated the FCRA by making false verification.

In summary, I would definately send a direct dispute.  They might choose to verify, but at increased peril should their records show payment prior to charge-off or collection referral.  If that is the case, they would be smart to dodge the issue by simply deleting the CO, and instructing the debt collector that the collection referral was erroneous, and should not be reported.

Message 6 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, they couldn't sue if the debt was paid.  I believe the OP's biggest complaint is that it was sent to a CA after she had already paid the OC.  Since the bill was paid, there shouldn't be a debt.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Suit, not based on the paid status of the debt per se, but rather based on violation of the FCRA  by

1. reporting a charge-off and making a collection referral that had no basis in fact; and

2. verifying the accuracy of that reporting when their reasonable investigation did not support verification.

Message 9 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Sorry Robert.

I took it as the OP getting sued, not the one bringing suit.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.