Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else can i do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What else can i do?

Hello. I am in the latter stages of fixing my credit rating. Things were bad.....scores in the low 500's.. Over the past 6 months i have paid off all of my old collections and chargeoffs. i have opened three current tradelines (cc's) to go along with my student loan(showing never late in 4 yrs). I am working towards getting approved for a mortgage this year.....outside of time and another round of GW's to my old paid collections and charge offs, is there any other advice to help me on my way. My fico equ is at about 620 now with more updates coming....but id like to get it closer to 660 when i get prequalified . thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What else can i do?

You are on the right track. As you know, a $0 balance collection is equally bad as one with a $10,000 balance per your score. You'd want those off. Try for all, but focus specifically on the newest COs and focus on removing all the CAs. Sometimes old COs can help your AAoA and length of history, even if reporting bad.

For max points, get two of your CCs to report $0 and the remaining a small balance of under 10% of the CL.

Don't app for anything new and try to get as much time as you can in between your newest credit and the time you apply for your mortgage.

Be sure to opt out.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.