cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else should I be doing to better my credit?

tag
missindependent
Contributor

What else should I be doing to better my credit?

I have two non-secured credit cards that I am using wisely (First Premier: $300, CreditOne $400). I'm paying in full at the end of every month. I have one paid in full charge off and I'm writing GW's to get it removed. 

Is there anything else that I should be doing to accelerate the credit rebuilding process? I can't apply for many credit cards at the moment because my credit score is too low. 

AMEX PRG (NPSL), Citi Double Cash ($1200), BECU ($1000), Barney's ($1000), Bloomingdales Store Card ($1000), Neiman Marcus ($700), Macy's Store Card ($600), Amazon Rewards Visa Card, ($500), Capital One Platinum ($500), Capital One QuicksilverOne ($500)

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: EX:649 EQ: 657 TU:661
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Good luck to all of our myFICO Fitness Challengers!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What else should I be doing to better my credit?

Apply for Capital One if you have no recent unpaid CO with them. They are far better for rebuilding than the vulture lenders like FP and Credit One. Go to the Cap1 pre-approval site.

Message 2 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Apply for Capital One if you have no recent unpaid CO with them. They are far better for rebuilding than the vulture lenders like FP and Credit One. Go to the Cap1 pre-approval site.

OP will not be able to app for a Cap-1 right now, just paid off a Cap-1 CO according to another thread.

Message 3 of 10
missindependent
Contributor

FP has given me a headache more times than I can count. 

AMEX PRG (NPSL), Citi Double Cash ($1200), BECU ($1000), Barney's ($1000), Bloomingdales Store Card ($1000), Neiman Marcus ($700), Macy's Store Card ($600), Amazon Rewards Visa Card, ($500), Capital One Platinum ($500), Capital One QuicksilverOne ($500)

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, just saw that after I posted. I'd suggest getting in with a couple of CUs like SDFCU, DCU, PenFed, NASAFCU, etc, and see if they will issue you secured cards.

Message 5 of 10
chbartel
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OP will not be able to app for a Cap-1 right now, just paid off a Cap-1 CO according to another thread.

I disagree 100% about CAP-1 not allowing a card...

I have 4 CAP-1 cards unpaid. I paid two of them in full but have two judgements on two others.  MY wife has same.  The two judgements each of us have are about 3 years old.

Both of us applied and was approved for both the Quicksilver(2k limit for each of us), as well as CAp-1 Platinum(3k limit for each of us). and thats with each of us showing those two judgements on file...our scores are low 600's right now when we were approved...

Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@chbartel wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree 100% about CAP-1 not allowing a card...

I have 4 CAP-1 cards unpaid. I paid two of them in full but have two judgements on two others.  MY wife has same.  The two judgements each of us have are about 3 years old.

Both of us applied and was approved for both the Quicksilver(2k limit for each of us), as well as CAp-1 Platinum(3k limit for each of us). and thats with each of us showing those two judgements on file...our scores are low 600's right now when we were approved...

Cap-1 will not BL one for ever but since the OP is just now settling the CO and just paid it off there is a 1 year wait before they will approve a new card. This info can be found in their T&Cs.

Message 7 of 10
missindependent
Contributor

I applied recently and was denied. I called the recon line and they are in the process of reviewing my application. I don't have a lot of credit history, just the charge off and my two new cards.

Message 8 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not neccesarily true, my mom and a friend of mine had recent charge offs with capital one but were still able to obtain a secured card.

Months later both got approved for two cards in the credit steps program.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Whitneyy wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not neccesarily true, my mom and a friend of mine had recent charge offs with capital one but were still able to obtain a secured card.

Months later both got approved for two cards in the credit steps program.

I concur with Whitneyy about getting back in with them in less than a year time. I PIF 2 charge offs (2 cards with 2 k outstanding balances) in November and got a secured card with them in February. 

Btw when will we get an update on your journal Whitneey we're all anxioutsly awaiting your write up!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.