cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I dispute a paid collection.

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: What happens if I dispute a paid collection.

Yes. They called me on the phone yesterday. They swore they contacted collection dept. and they tried everything to delete. But it's just not possible. They stated it is marked paid in full. So they apologize.  But I just let it go. Only 18 months to drop off. 

Message 11 of 17
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

I would send GW letters to the top dog of that company every month until this falls off naturally, explaining to that person that you were told this would be deleted from all 3 CRA's, and somewhere along the line the signals got mixed & it was only updated.

An apology from a company when they promise to delete but instead just update isn't good enough. You upheld your end of the bargain, now it's time for them to do the same.

Message 12 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If I understand the post correctly, a debt collector reported a collection, you paid the OC, and the OC promised that the collection would be deleted?

If that is the scenario, the problem is that the OC had no authority to make any promise regarding credit reporting they did not make.

Only the debt collector can agree to delete their own reporting.

Thus, the agreement is not binding upon the debt collector.

There is no path for the OC to correct their mistake other than asking the debt collector to now delete.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

Yes. They called me on the phone yesterday. They swore they contacted collection dept. and they tried everything to delete. But it's just not possible. They stated it is marked paid in full. So they apologize.  But I just let it go. Only 18 months to drop off. 

Awww Taxi! That blows. I was crossing my fingers for you. I would at least try and GW the CEO of the collection company.!
Message 14 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

If I understand the post correctly, a debt collector reported a collection, you paid the OC, and the OC promised that the collection would be deleted?

If that is the scenario, the problem is that the OC had no authority to make any promise regarding credit reporting they did not make.

There is no path for the OC to correct their mistake other than asking the debt collector to now delete.

Doesn't the OC need to get the debt back to be able to accept payment? There for the debt collect has no debt to collect on? Or am I over thinking this? 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 15 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

Does not always mean that the PC actually sold that. That is assumption that last poster is assuming. In this case. Mine. And many others. This is. Example. Amex. Had on collection agency. Who is even authorized to offer cards. Credit one. Own collection agency. And in my case brighthouse. Own collection agency. Two different departments. So no. They don't have to call anyone to have removed. It's simply about the people that know what to do. Now that being said. A executive VP calls me up. About the BBB complaint. After explaining they've exhausted every avenue. To live up to what they said. In recorded conversations. As I knew the date and time they said it. May 17th 2014. Hehhee. This is why they bent over backwards. Offered 3 months of service in the house. I declined. I explained. This is not about money. But principle. Following they with your offer. It's been a year since I re signed up accirding to their offer. But nothing from them. So I will cancel and go back to streaming. As I said. I sense the genuine effort in their part as they explained every aspect of what they did. And they did not understand the consequences of marking paid changes status from open collection to closed. If they would have just left it alone. I would not have lost 78 points on my score. But what's done is done. And like I said. It's been a year and my score is recovering. It will drop in a 18 months. But I do miss being in the 750 club. Thanks all.
Message 16 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Scupra wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Doesn't the OC need to get the debt back to be able to accept payment? There for the debt collect has no debt to collect on? Or am I over thinking this? 

If the OC owns the debt then they need to recall the collectors prior to accepting payment and you need to have that commitment in writing or verbally prior to actually making the payment. Once they say they will recall then its ok to pay the OC, something went awry in how this particular debt was handled or a lack of communication between the OC & their CA. If the OC has sold the debt off to a JDB there is no recalling anything and you must deal with the JDB or their assigns to settle it.

An OC can accept a payment even without recalling their collector, they would just take the funds and tell the CA its been paid so it updates to a paid collection.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.