Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I pay a chargeoff

tag
CreditWarrior21
Regular Contributor

What happens if I pay a chargeoff

Hi all- What happens if I pay the OC on a chargeoff? Does this delete it off the report? My report says Amereagleoutft/MBGA/GEMB (not sure what the MBGA/GEMB is but the OC is American Eagle Outfitters) So if I pay this-would it come off my report? Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: What happens if I pay a chargeoff

No, unfortunately just paying it will not remove it from your CR.  It can stay the entire time permitted by law which is 7 - 7.5 years past the DOFD.

Also, paid and unpaid collections and CO are looked at the same by FICO.

Does this have a CA attached to it?

What is the DOFD and the SOL?

Message 2 of 8
CreditWarrior21
Regular Contributor

So would I PFD them same as I would a regular collection? It is in SOL and is not set to fall off the report until 11/2014-so needless to say I would like to do something about it before then. I just didn't know what the process was for a charge off. So I should try to PFD them then?
Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes you can ask for a PFD.  They can say no.  If they do say no they would have to update as paid charge off.  If it is from the OC then paying it could gain some points because it will not be counted in your utilization any longer.

Message 4 of 8
CreditWarrior21
Regular Contributor

Some points would be GREAT right now.. I am going to PFD them and see what happens. So quick question-even though it was charged off- it was a credit card so it still counts toward my utilization? I want to make sure I have that right!

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I am sure that an OC CO with a balance is counted in your utilization.  I will try to find out for sure.
Message 6 of 8
CreditWarrior21
Regular Contributor

That would be great if you could find out. I am going to go ahead and PFD them either way today though.

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Since it is still within SOL, PIF will keep you from getting sued.  At least on a manual review it will look good if they do not PFD.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.