Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I stop making payments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens if I stop making payments?

My husband and I have one rather large unsecured loan with a balance of $21,000 (with a payment of $426 mo) and three credit cards with approx. $5,000, $1000, and $500 balances.  The card with the $500 balance has a low interest rate and low payment however, the other two cards and loan have rates of 16% to 26% and the credit card companies refuse to lower the interest rates.   We have recently had to foreclose on a home because of a preditory loan and are now trying to keep from filing bankruptcy.  My question is, what would happen if we just stopped making payments to the credit cards and unsecured loan?  I'm sure it would probably go to collections after that, right?  Then what if we don't pay the collections company?  Garnishment?  Does anyone know exactly what would happen?  Our credit is already screwed...  not trying to save that.  Just trying to keep from having to file bankruptcy and afford to live.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: What happens if I stop making payments?

This is really not an area I have any experience in, but why not just file for bankruptcy? Just refusing to pay your debts will not make them go away. 
TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The OC would send it to a CA. Either the CA or the OC would then sue. If judgment is obtained, then they can garnish your wages or bank accounts. Once they do that you'll likely wind up paying more money monthly that you are now.

Something dramatic happened to cause you to not afford your home, the loans, and the CCs. Figure out what that is and make some drastic changes to your lifestyle. Get on a written budget. Cut expenses like going out, entertainment, eating out, hobbies, travel, fun, cable, etc. And increase your income. Get a second or third job if necessary. Make adjustments in your W-4s if receiving a refund. Stop investing temporarily. Cash in any non-retirement savings to pay off debts. Figure out what increased the gap between income and expenses. A decision to stop paying the debts is the last thing you'd ever want to do.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are trying to avoid bankruptcy because it's very expensive and we may end up losing our home and a car.  The home we are in now is one that I was very blessed to find someone to do owner finance since our credit after the foreclosure wouldn't allow us to get a bank loan. 
Message 4 of 8
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We are trying to avoid bankruptcy because it's very expensive and we may end up losing our home and a car.  The home we are in now is one that I was very blessed to find someone to do owner finance since our credit after the foreclosure wouldn't allow us to get a bank loan. 

First and foremost I understand what you are going through. In order to help you a bit we need a bit more info also.

Is the large loan for the auto? If it is you will have to keep that current or face a repo. Have you called your creditors to make arrangement and explain what is going on?

This is important.......Can you or your husband get a 2nd job to get caught up? Since the cc's aren't huge a 2nd job would be the fastest way to get those paid off and save your credit from going into the toilet.

Have you started looking around to see what assets you have that you can sell? Perhaps on Craigslist? Stop any extras for now (this will be temporary) No going out to eat, no going to themovies, no mani or pedi's. In other words go to the bare essentials. Shop the dollar stores, shop goodwill, make less trips in the cars, pull the kids (if you have any) out of any expensive extras like dancing, music lessons and the like.

Do not just stop making payments. It will be harder to fix down the road and if your accts get charged off and go to collections, you'll be looking at even larger amounts owed. The impact of this on your scores will be brutal.

Trust me when I say that I was supporting a family of 3 during a crisis and was able to feed my family on $40 a week for almost a year and a half. We never went hungry. It was the pits but it can be done. We cut out every extra there was and lived bare bones. We kept the roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and stomachs full BUT we did make sacrifices during that time and now we are seeing the end of a very long tunnel.

You can do this!

Message 5 of 8
mamalawery
New Contributor

they usually don't go to a ca until the oc charges the acct off. however, if you stop making the payments the default rates will kick in. at that point the cred may be able to get you on a reduced pymt program. what are the apr's now? are they high? if your apr's are low, you probably won't have much room to work with toget your pymts lowered unfortunately.

plus, when you are calling your cc's, and you are utd, you probably are not speaking to their "customer assistance" area. this is the collections area. ask for a transfer to that area. they will have better options than customer service.

are you able to settle. a settlement is a neg on cbr's, but at least you paid something on your debt. bko should be the last resort. call all your creditor's and see what they have to offer. if 1 person won't help... call and tt someone else or a supervisor.

good luck!

***I was an app addict, and I'm not ashamed to say it!***
Message 6 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

If you have not done so, you need to put a budget together to see exactly where your money is going.  You have to cut expenses to the bare minimum to see how much your are in the red.  Next you need to see if you can increase income enough to get you into the black.

A DMP program might be possible but they may not accept the 21k unsecured loan since they only work with CC debt, not LOCs or CFL as far as I know.  Also you may not be able to afford they payments even for 5 years.  It wont hurt to ask though.

Stay away from the so-called debt Settlement plans, since they will ruin your credit about as bad as anything can and you might wind up in BK anyway.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 8
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Justmet

First i would like to say i am very sorry for your struggles

I would advise you to read this thread.

FTC webpage: Knee Deep in Debt

It is very helpful and insightful

Hope this helps

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.