cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens next in CA dispute process?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

What happens next in CA dispute process?

I disputed Equidata (Ive read that they no longer have authority on some Cox accounts to collect debt).  The alleged debt is 5 years old for $190.  The dispute was filed 6/9/12 and they have until 7/10/12 to respond.  Say they dont respond by then.  My understanding is that the CA will be deleted from my CR.  Can Cox, the OC, have this item brought back on my CR? (The debt has been charged off by them).

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What happens next in CA dispute process?

What was the basis for the dispute (i.e., what information was asserted to have been inaccurately reported)?

Deletion is not the only result of a dispute.  If the information can be corrected so as to make it accurate, deletion is not required.

Information deleted as a result of a dispute is not barred from reinsertion.  However, in order to get it reinserted, they must follow the special provisions of FCRA 611(a)(5)(B), which basically requires them to accompany the request for reinsertion with a certification stating that, notwithstanding the earlier failure to have verified the accuracy of the information, they now certify that it is complete and accurate.  They CRA must accept that certification, and notify the consumer of the reinsertion within 5 business days thereafter.

If the dispute was over accuracy of the reporting of a debt collector, it would not apply to reporting by an OC.  The OC was not a party to the dispute with the CRA reporting.

Message 2 of 3
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: What happens next in CA dispute process?

I disputed the alleged debt on basis thar I closed account with zero balance and retuned all equipment. The alleged debt is now beyond the sol.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.