cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to an item while it's in dispute?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens to an item while it's in dispute?

I heard that while disputing an item/account on your credit report the item is taken off until either it is verified as accurate or deleted permanently.  Is this true?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cassie3783
Regular Contributor

Re: What happens to an item while it's in dispute?

In my experience, no, the item is not removed.  It will still show on your report with a note "account in dispute - consumer initiated" or something like that.

Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I heard that while disputing an item/account on your credit report the item is taken off until either it is verified as accurate or deleted permanently.  Is this true?

Part of the TL won't factor into your score like the balance, CLs, lates for OCs. Other parts of the TL like the mix of credit, the history, your AAoA, and your scoring bucket won't be impacted during a dispute. Other baddies like CAs and PRs aren't impacted during a dispute, other than the update to the DOLA and reported date which could impact your score in a negative way.

Message 3 of 4
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Part of the TL won't factor into your score like the balance, CLs, lates for OCs. Other parts of the TL like the mix of credit, the history, your AAoA, and your scoring bucket won't be impacted during a dispute. Other baddies like CAs and PRs aren't impacted during a dispute, other than the update to the DOLA and reported date which could impact your score in a negative way.

That's good to know.  Texas uses the DOLA for some SoL purposes!  It's possible other states do as well, but I'm not sure.

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.