Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Fingerhut ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is Fingerhut ?

i have heard bout fingerhut so many times what is it and what does it do for your credit. i have a capital one secured mastercard with a $200 limit right now should i get this fingerhut thing to help my credit. if so what is the best way to use it so i dont get into trouble with it.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is Fingerhut ?

Fingerhut is a mail order catalog/online vendor that offers credit lines through Webbank. They usually start out with an installment type account that 'graduates' to a revolving line of credit after several payments. They are useful in rebuilding efforts when its really tough to get approved.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had mine about 6 months now. They are a bit overpriced but not outrageous.  Kind of like a higher priced amazon.com.  lol. They have a little bit of everything.  I started with a 400.00 credit line ,bought a small item,paid it off over 3 months,  on the 4th statement I got a bump up to 700.00. They are quite generous with clis. Hope this helps. Happy holidays! 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeing your scores you may be approved for the fresh start (low limit and you have to pay I believe 30 dollars for an item that costs 150, but i could be incorrect) you could also risk it and be approved for the regular account. I was approved for 400 yesterday and purchased the smallest item I could. It is overpriced a little bit and the shipping is ridiculous. But they report to all 3 Credit Bureaus and are very generous about Credit Limits which will be increasing your available credit. I have heard a lot of people are denied the regular account and offered the fresh start. Whatever you decide to do let us know of the outcome!!

Message 4 of 7
JennaD075
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seeing your scores you may be approved for the fresh start (low limit and you have to pay I believe 30 dollars for an item that costs 150, but i could be incorrect) you could also risk it and be approved for the regular account. I was approved for 400 yesterday and purchased the smallest item I could. It is overpriced a little bit and the shipping is ridiculous. But they report to all 3 Credit Bureaus and are very generous about Credit Limits which will be increasing your available credit. I have heard a lot of people are denied the regular account and offered the fresh start. Whatever you decide to do let us know of the outcome!!

I think the Fresh Start is great if that is what they approve you for.  Fingerhut is a great tool if you use them right in the rebuilding.  I can't say enough good thing's about them for rebuilding purposes.  Not for people that already have good credit.

Message 5 of 7
junebug225
New Contributor

As mentioned, fingerhut is great for rebuilding. I started with the freshstart program at $120. While I'm still knee deep in the rebuilding phase, a year later it's my highest revolving line at $1000. I normally buy something the I need when they have specials going on like a certain percent off or free shipping. Pay it off and a few payments and like clock work I get a CLI.

Fico's EQ 540 TU 529 EX 517 starting 3/2015
Fico's EQ 760 TU 775 EX 771 as of 04/204
Long term 775 across the board
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JennaD075 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the Fresh Start is great if that is what they approve you for.  Fingerhut is a great tool if you use them right in the rebuilding.  I can't say enough good thing's about them for rebuilding purposes.  Not for people that already have good credit.

This.

I don't know about myself having "good" credit, but I actually got an invite in the mail. Tossed it out. (shreded) It's good if you are newly rebuilding, but once you get established, there are better options out there imo.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.