Not applicable

What is a PFD?

Just wondering what a PFD is? 
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is a PFD?

Pay For Delete.....When you offer to pay a collection in exchange for them to delete it from your credit report.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just wondering what a PFD is? 

Paid for deletion. Say XYZ Co. has a $500 collection account on your credit report. You offer to pay XYZ Co. in exchange for immediate deletion/update of the CR to remove it. It's a quick way to get rid of a negative and prop up FICO scores a few points. Get the deletion promise in writing. 

Message Edited by oldhack62 on 06-26-2009 09:00 AM
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  How do I do this?  Do I contact the creditor (in this case a $211 Dr bill) but it went to a lawyer/collection agency) and ask them?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is a medical collection then I would follow the HIPAA process (the letters are no longer on here but if you google Pre-HIPAA process you should be able to find links that will outline step by step) as once that is paid they are no longer allowed to report.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

is there any way to pay for a creditor to remove a late payment from your credit report???

Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

is there any way to pay for a creditor to remove a late payment from your credit report???

You'd want to use a GW in that instance.

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

PFDs are offered before a debt is paid, and can specificy any information that you want deleted from your CR, including a PFD to an OC for deletion of prior monthly derogs and/or any CO they posted.  A PFD to a CA only relates to their reporting of a collection to your CR, and not prior OC account reporting.

Who you can offer a PFD to depends on who currently owns the debt.  Some collections are posted by a CA as a collection agent of the OC, wherin the OC still owns the debt.  In that case, you can PFD either the OC or CA in offer of their agreeement to delete their own reporting.

If the OC has sold the debt to a debt collector, then you can only PFD the CA.  Any letters to ask for deletion of prior OC reporting once the creditor no longer owns the debt must, at that point, be done by way of a good-will (GW) letter to the OC.

PFDs are not a magic bullet, and are not always the best course of action.  A PFD has absolutely no obligation for any response.  They can jsut proceed with current activities, or maybe even escalate them.  If you just send a PFD, and sit back and await response, it may never come.  Or worse yet, could result in legal action for collection of the debt.  PFDs always bear some risk.  I woukld suggest, before putting reliance on a PFD offer, that you first be fully aware of your state statute of limitations regarding you legal defense of actions for collection of debt.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW - so pretty much id just be asking them nicely to remove evidence of my late payments????

Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Exactly.

A GW letter is just a retroactive plea for mercy, after money is in their pocket.  No current $$ incentive for them to grant. GW must, in my opinion, show future $$ reasons for them to grant.

In fact, the actual granting of any GW request is techinically in direct violation of their credit reporting contract with the CRAs, which clearly specifies that deletion of pior, accurate reporting should NOT be deleted based on payment of the debt.

I dont discourage attempts at GW deletion, but they are easily dismissed with no response even required by the creditor.

Successful GW letters that I have seen offer more than just a plea for mercy.  They also offer a reason why the grant of a GW deletion would foster their desire to want further business from you.  They are captalists, not social service organizations.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.