Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good score for TransUnion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a good score for TransUnion?

Hey experts!

Can you tell me what a good score is with TransUnion?  I'm new to the forum. I checked my credit report on TransUnion yesterday and I see the score is different than the FICO score at Equifax.   On Equifax it said 660 which ranks as "poor" under their guide.

On TransUnion the score is 770 and it says a grade of "C".   What is considered a good score or a B on TransUnion?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is a good score for TransUnion?

Welcome to the forums!

Ignore both scores as neither of them are FICO scores. Your TU FICO score will differ from these two.

Equifax.com does sell a FICO score, but only for EQ, and not the other two. I believe they sell a FAKO score for the other two. The second score you pulled from transunion is a FAKO score called a VantageScore. VantageScore issues grades like that.

The only place you can get your TU FICO score, other than from myFICO or from a lender, would be transunioncs.com (note the -cs at the end).

Message 2 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

A good score is whatever score you have when you apply for credit and get approve.  Each creditor has its own criteria to determine if a score is good or not.  My 725 EQ FICO may be good to Discover, but may not be enough for Citi.  
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I'm learning bit by bit daily.  I signed up at myfico.com and got my FICO score but it was deceiving as it looks like they list the highest out of the 3 credit agencies.  It looks like my lawyer's letters to TransUnion went through disputing several charges and the store was 670 but on the other two they haven't been disputed yet and are still showing 580. 

It's good to know about these FAKO scores. Thanks for your information. I'm looking forward to having the EX and EQ reports updated.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow Ilecs!

I thought myfico sold fico scores for both EQ & TU, and that the transunioncs.com was also a fico score.  In fact, I just read this posted today on the CC board by Moderator HTSU:

"If you are interested in seeing the scores that your lenders see, you can buy your FICO EQ and FICO TU here at myFICO. You can also buy your EQ FICO from Equifax's website, and you can buy your TU FICO from a special TransUnion site, www.transunioncs.com. Note the -cs at the end --it's not the regular TransUnion site."

Now I'm REALLY confused (okay, it doesn't take much.....)

Message 5 of 19
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

@utah2009 wrote:

Wow Ilecs!

I thought myfico sold fico scores for both EQ & TU, and that the transunioncs.com was also a fico score.  In fact, I just read this posted today on the CC board by Moderator HTSU:

"If you are interested in seeing the scores that your lenders see, you can buy your FICO EQ and FICO TU here at myFICO. You can also buy your EQ FICO from Equifax's website, and you can buy your TU FICO from a special TransUnion site, www.transunioncs.com. Note the -cs at the end --it's not the regular TransUnion site."

It can be confusing, transunioncs.com does sell a FICO score, but transunion.com does not.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep - got the transunioncs.com thing 

And got that myfico sells FICO's for EQ & TU.

Got lost on Equifax being different than myfico.  Got caught up - now - whew!!!! 

Thanks.  Time for chocolate.........

Message 7 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

JoeBJay20 wrote:

@utah2009 wrote:

Wow Ilecs!

It can be confusing, transunioncs.com does sell a FICO score, but transunion.com does not.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone! Smiley Surprised

Remember...myFICO sells FAKO scores. Wait, no, got it wrong: myFAKO sells FICO scores. Smiley Tongue

Thanks for the clarification Joe. Per Equifax, they sell FICO scores for EQ only. But it seems like they have a 3-in-1 service. That service offers FAKO scores. OP was talking about TU scores from equifax and had to conclude that it was a FAKO, since Equifax doesn't sell EX or TU FICO score.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I originally signed up for the $8.95 a month myfico.com score watch but cancelled today.  The score they were showing wasn't correct for Equifax.  The score they were showing was for TransUnion.  I found www.truecredit.com which has a $14.95 a month fee and it shows the credit reports and scores for all 3 bureaus. Seems like the best deal.  Yes?
Message 9 of 19
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Truecredit also doesn't sell FICO scores, but from what I hear it's good for monitoring your reports, which is just as important (if not more so) than the scores themselves.   So if you use it, use it for monitoring chances to your reports, and ignore the scores and the advice they give for improving them.  In many cases, actions that will increase a FAKO score can actually decrease your FICO score.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.