cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a healthy number of cards to build with?

tag
mykalli
Established Member

Re: What is a healthy number of cards to build with?

@guiness56 wrote:

You want overall utilization to be at 9% or under.

Ok great. And just to make sure I completely understand, I want to use less than 9% of my overall available credit, and I can do this on one card.

i.e. If I have 4 cards (each with $100 available credit) = $400 total available credit.
           I should spend for example $28 (7%) per month, and I can put that all on 1 card while keeping the other 3 at a zero balance.

Would this be correct?

Thanks again.

photo cards6_zps003dbec7.png

Equifax 605 TransUnion 633 Experian 585 / Student loan rehab completed April 2013 / Goal: 700
Message 11 of 24
subzeroepsilon
Established Member

In that situation, you would have one card at 28% UTL with all others at zero, making an overall 7% UTL rating. That scenario might work, but I'm not sure if the UTL is per card or per report. If the former, you would still have one TL reporting at 28% (anything above 30 is considered maxed out). I've heard the best thing to do is never let the card report at more than 9% for any TL listed, so you might want to bring the balance down on that one card to 9% or less.

Current cards: US Bank LANPass Secured Visa ($300) | Fingerhut FreshStart ($130) | DCU Secured Visa ($500 - DECLINED)

Starting Score: TU 486 | EX 510 | EQ ???
Current Score: TU 486 | EX 510 | EQ ???
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

The more cards the better when you're building/rebuilding, in general. You already have 4 cards, which is plenty to start with. Perhaps wait several months for your scores to go up before you applying for another card. Having two many new accounts in addition to baddies may trigger credit limit decreases.

Message 13 of 24
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@subzeroepsilon wrote:

In that situation, you would have one card at 28% UTL with all others at zero, making an overall 7% UTL rating. That scenario might work, but I'm not sure if the UTL is per card or per report. If the former, you would still have one TL reporting at 28% (anything above 30 is considered maxed out). I've heard the best thing to do is never let the card report at more than 9% for any TL listed, so you might want to bring the balance down on that one card to 9% or less.

All cards are scored individually then you have the overall utilization.  Anything above 30% is not maxed out,  FICO will start dinging maxed out between 70 and 90% per card.

It isn't really the number of cards you have but how you manage them. 

Message 14 of 24
gabrielle

By the way, your cards dont report well if you dont use them. so what would be best for all cards is if you have something (anything) on the card. SO you can buy a candybar  with every card and hold that $2 balance every month. Its weird but had a guy who was super rich and aiming for the elusive 850 and he was at like 840 or something for years. Our credit advisor asked if he had paid off his cards. He had. He said he should hold a VERY small balance on his cards. In 3 months, he hit 850. Evidently if you dont utilize your card, it is not reported as being used for that month cycle

Message 15 of 24
pennccrn
New Contributor

I will just add one thing. You mentioned that you wanted all your "hard pulls together" That only applies for rate shopping products, like installment loans (auto, etc.) and morgage accounts. So, each credit card you apply to will create a hard inquiry. The good news is that usually the credit card inquiries only pull from one credit bureau.

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 24
c1fair

5 Credit Inquires is a red flag on an Experian CR and will stay with you until the inquiries drop off, as well as, lower your credit score. If you request a CLI with Capital One, make certain that they do not pull your credit file. If they can not give you an increase, then request an interest rate reduction. This will boost your internal credit file with Capital One and can assist in speeding up the process toward a CLI.
Message 17 of 24
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@mykalli wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

You want overall utilization to be at 9% or under.

Ok great. And just to make sure I completely understand, I want to use less than 9% of my overall available credit, and I can do this on one card.

i.e. If I have 4 cards (each with $100 available credit) = $400 total available credit.
           I should spend for example $28 (7%) per month, and I can put that all on 1 card while keeping the other 3 at a zero balance.

Would this be correct?

Thanks again.

Not available credit but CL.   You are keeping overall at 9% or below and not showing a 0 balance on all CC which FICO doesnt' like to see.

Message 18 of 24
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

@mykalli wrote:

Hi all,

Quick question. Like most, I'm looking to build a strong, positive credit history. I'm wondering if I need to apply for one more card.

I currently have:

• CapitalOne Cash Rewards $500
  • Walmart $600
  • Macy's $100
  • Nordstrom $750

I was considering getting one ore unsecured card. (CreditOne Platinum). My reasoning is to get all my hard pulls grouped closely so they may fall off together while I garden a healthy amount of credit movement. Not sure if there is a sweet spot. Afraid of too many, but also weary of too few slowing the process. Any assistance is appreciated!

Thank you

I have 9 and am an AU on 4 of my wifes CC's and my credit score is fairly decent.

I think its more about following the rules than having one or two too many, otherwise I should have been zapped for having too many by now, Id think. Instead I keep getting offers for more preapproved cards, loans of $25K or more and offers for upgrades on my cards (such as I just got a Capitol One upgrade offer today).

TU FICO average 819
Message 19 of 24
goosedog
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@subzeroepsilon wrote:

All cards are scored individually then you have the overall utilization.  Anything above 30% is not maxed out,  FICO will start dinging maxed out between 70 and 90% per card.

It isn't really the number of cards you have but how you manage them. 

Take the advice above. You want to use your cards, not just 1 card and let the other cards sit. Creditors want to see you actually use the card, and not just have a card, to have it,. Also fico scoring depends on if the card has activity on it and is paid off (shows payment history). One thing I realized with FICO scoring is it looks at your overall management of your cards and if you can responsibiliy use them and manage them in a way you stay under the 30% (10% ideal) . The more you have the UTL spread out, the better your FICO score will grow. a ZERO balance on card does nothin for you, I have been using the cards I have the last 2 months. When UTIL goes up, the score goes down, when UTIL goes down, score goes up.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.