cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is considered a "permissible purpose" for inquiries?

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

What is considered a "permissible purpose" for inquiries?

I have seen posts regarding contacting companies to have them remove inquiries if they did not have a "permissible purpose" for the inquiry.  However, I have been digging around for a while now and have not found a definition for "permissible purpose".  Are collection agencies allowed?  I have noticed some collection agency inquiries on my reports.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is considered a "permissible purpose" for inquiries?

See Section 604 of the FCRA:

Section too long to post.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I tried to read that and it's just not in my language. So are CA allowed to do a hard inquiry?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

gonoles wrote:
So I tried to read that and it's just not in my language. So are CA allowed to do a hard inquiry?

Opinions differ.  Some say yes.  Some say no.

The Ninth Circuit recently ruled that a CC does not have PP when collecting on a non-credit-related transaction.

Otherwise, the general consensus is that they probably do.  Although as I said, opinions differ.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks- that explains why I had trouble! Have people had success disputing hard inquiries from CA's? DH has 8 on his (all from 1 year ago). Worth my time?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, let me clarify... Not disputing but sending letters to the CA's to remove.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

gonoles wrote:
Sorry, let me clarify... Not disputing but sending letters to the CA's to remove.

Worth your time?  Probably not.  Inquiries greater than one year old don't affect your score.

Some people have had success sending a non-PP letter to a CA.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.