Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is factoring account?

tag
Poorfico24
New Contributor

What is factoring account?

I have a collection for sbc pacbell that is listed as an open, factoring account. Just curious what that means?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is factoring account?

My understanding is..........(and hopefully someone will correct me if wrong or you can google "factoring company account")

Sometimes companies will sell their account receivables (debts that haven't gone bad) and let someone else collect them for them. They get the money now(less than what they would get from the customer) and the other company collects the full amount.  You know the "better to have a $1 today than $2 tomorrow" or however that saying goes.

However, when a company sells/assigns a delinquent account to a CA to collect on.......this is not a factoring account. However, some CAs will try to report that way to get around abiding by FDCPA and other laws concerning collection agency/debt buyers.

Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 8
Poorfico24
New Contributor

I read that definition however I just didn't know how it corrosponds with a bad collection. So my debt (SBC PacBell) was a delinquient debt sold to Asset Acceptance and they listed it as a factoring account. Therefore, listing it as such they don't have to follow any rules? Is that legal? It's listed as....

Balance: 
$110  
Date Updated: 
02/2009  
Original Balance: 
$88 
Original Creditor: 
PACIFIC BELL TEL DBA SBC CALIF 
Past Due: 
>$110< 
Pay Status: 
>Collection Account<  
Account Type: 
Open Account  
Responsibility: 
Individual Account  
Loan Type: Factoring Company Account
Remark: 
Account information disputed by consumer
Date placed for collection: [ 03/2005] 
Estimated date that this item will be removed:   06/2010
Message Edited by Poorfico24 on 03-03-2009 11:28 AM
Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A factoring company does not correspond with a bad debt.  That is why the JDB try to say they are one.

Bottom line is, Asset Acceptance is a COLLECTION AGENCY and has to abide by all the rules of the FDCPA.  They can call themselves any thing they like, it does not change the fact of what they are. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Midland Credit Mgmt a collection company or a factoring company?  They are showing themselves as a factoring company on my reports.   How can I find out this information?

800FICOwannabe

07/01/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 696, TU - 622 (Asset Acceptance reinserted as a new collection)
06/01/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 637, TU - 641
05/04/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 660, TU - 647
04/21/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 711, TU - 642
09/09/08 - Mortgage Enhanced: EQ - 607, EX - 556, TU - 534

Message 6 of 8
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

OK if we have a CA listing it's self as a Factoring Account how do we get it changed to a collections account?

It clearly says on my CR: Factoring Company Account (debt buyer) and it is listed with the other revolving accounts

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 7 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@hoping2rebuild wrote:

OK if we have a CA listing it's self as a Factoring Account how do we get it changed to a collections account?

It clearly says on my CR: Factoring Company Account (debt buyer) and it is listed with the other revolving accounts

This thread is over 2 yrs old and the one who started this thread and those who have answered, not been around in awhile.

If a CA is coded as a CA, then FICO sees it as a CA.

So it saying Factoring company account, isnt going to matter, it all depends on how it is coded.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.