Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best approach in this case

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best approach in this case

Hi guys, I need an opinion on the best strategy in my situation. 5 years ago I went to a hospital after I fell skiing back in Vermont. I didn't have a medical insurance at that point so I gave  them my information and they started sending me bills. When I called the hospital trying to request help with paying my bills they said that as long as I pay $20 a month they will not send it to collections. I was doing that but at some point it went to collections anyway, at that point the amount that I owed was pretty small, probably around $100.00. I paid collections asap however the negative record on my credit history have been haunting me for years now. I was trying to file a claim with credit reporting agencies but with no luck. In these days I'm really in need of improving my credit score so I'm going to try to remove the negative record from my credit history. What should be the best strategy in this case? Should I send them a GW letter or maybe something else? 

This is what is looks like on my credit record: http://screencast.com/t/M3TFCjac

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the best approach in this case

I would start by sending Asset Recovery a GW letter. Explain that you were promised it wouldn't go to collections, and the second it did you submitted full payment, despite the fact that it shouldn't have been there. I've always found it beneficial to include a reason like that so in case the CA was asked about it, they had a reason why they removed the negative. That's step one.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-NewGuy- wrote:

I would start by sending Asset Recovery a GW letter. Explain that you were promised it wouldn't go to collections, and the second it did you submitted full payment, despite the fact that it shouldn't have been there. I've always found it beneficial to include a reason like that so in case the CA was asked about it, they had a reason why they removed the negative. That's step one.

Thank you very much for your response. One more questions. On my credit report I see an actual address of the company however everywhere online I see that they have a PO BOX. Which one should I use you think? Maybe both? They also have a fax number provided on the website. Is it recommended to contact them via fax? 

Message 3 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Thank you very much for your response. One more questions. On my credit report I see an actual address of the company however everywhere online I see that they have a PO BOX. Which one should I use you think? Maybe both? They also have a fax number provided on the website. Is it recommended to contact them via fax? 

Personally I would send to the address that's on your credit report.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Personally I would send to the address that's on your credit report.

Thank you. What if it won't work? Are there any other ways to do that? It looks like this collection agency is a very small firm. Hopefully they will remove the record from my account. 

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Have you requested the hosppital to contact the debt collector and request, on your behalf, that the collection be deleted from yur CR?

If the OC intervenes on your behalf, confirming their error, the debt collector would most likely be receptive to deletion.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Have you requested the hosppital to contact the debt collector and request, on your behalf, that the collection be deleted from yur CR?

If the OC intervenes on your behalf, confirming their error, the debt collector would most likely be receptive to deletion.

Thank you very much for your input. I haven't tried to contact the hospital yet. What would be the best method to contact them? By phone or mail? 

Also, it's been almost 3 weeks since I sent the GW letter and the record is still on my credit. So what should I try next? 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

BUMP

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

BUMP

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys, anyone please? 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.