Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the optimum credit utilization?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the optimum credit utilization?

After living in Canada for 5 years, I have returned to the US and have just been approved for my first US CC in several years. It only has a CL of $320. What is the optimum credit utilization for building credit? Also, I assume that credit utilization is the ratio of balance to available...? Is that right?

Thanks for any input!

Geobrian

Current FICO EQ 661, FICO TU 675

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the optimum credit utilization?

I have seen 2 to 5 percent as my prime utilization percentage for maximum score bump.  Make sure to keep it under 30% and over 0%. 

To answer your question, yes, utilization is the ratio of balance to total credit line.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the optimum credit utilization?

@Anonymous wrote:

After living in Canada for 5 years, I have returned to the US and have just been approved for my first US CC in several years. It only has a CL of $320. What is the optimum credit utilization for building credit? Also, I assume that credit utilization is the ratio of balance to available...? Is that right?

Thanks for any input!

Geobrian

Current FICO EQ 661, FICO TU 675

Hi there.

There really is no one size fits all approach to this. You might have to play around with the percentages over a few months to see what works best for you. Some say 1% works best for them, others 3-5%, while still others the "sweet spot" might be 7-9%.

Remember that you can use the card as much as you want during the month but that the amount reported on your monthly statement is what is used to calculate utilization for that month. Once you know when your statement posts just time your payments so that the desired utilization is achieved several days before the staement comes out. And then of course pay any balance before the due date to avoid any interest charges.

In your case try and make sure the reported amount on your statement is no more than $29 (9% of the CL of $320).

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.