cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of a "Credit Score" if the "FICO score" is the only one that matters?

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the point of a "Credit Score" if the "FICO score" is the only one th

@ccubedzx3 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

It's stories like yours that propel many of us to keep saying, "Ignore the FAKOs!".

FAKOs are totally useless. As you experienced there can be a large gap between FAKOs and FICOs. Also, your FICO can go up and FAKO down for the exact same event. They are unreliable and lenders won't use them. Plus the advice that comes with some of these services, if taken, can sometimes harm your FICO score.

Why a FAKO? I think a couple are legit. They are legit in their own mind and they are trying to break out as a competitor to FICO. Vantage, for example, is used by at least a couple lenders off the top of my head. They aren't reliable enough to be picked up by a large number of lenders, but I think they're trying. Most FAKOs though are "for educational purposes only" as pointed out already. Nobody uses them. You've got to understand that we are rare. Not many people even bother to take time to figure out scoring. Probably 90%+ don't even care. So when a service like freecreditscore or creditkarma offers scores, they pay $$$, look at it and move on without wanting to know how it works or why their score is the way it it. If they looked further and studied it like everyone on here does, they'd find that lenders aren't using scores like those.

That is what angers me the most.  I was falsely led to believe that my "credit score" mattered.  I paid for a service that really is pointless.  It's like paying one landscaping company to tell me when my lawn needed to be cut,  while I pay another landscaping company to actually cut it.

I'm thinking class action type of anger.  I mean, I wasted $15/month for 2 years for a service that is meaningless.  I might as well pay the weatherman since he forecasts the weather, even though he might be wrong....heck, i'll still pay him because he forecasted something.....pointless....

As much as i'd like to dole out the cash to keep informed here, I have a bad taste in my mouth and don't want to pay it....but in the back of my mind, I probably should because I want to app for a mortgage within the next year.  It is frustrating to no end....

Couple of points:

Usually, a loan officer will explain to you that they will be checking all three FICO scores ahead of time. Hindsight is clearly 20/20, but if you would have taken some time to talk to a loan officer ahead of time instead of diving headlong in, you might have avoided this kind of pain. Maybe someone will learn from this post and take heed.

I, as well, was taken in by the whole credit score fiasco in 2010. I went to buy a car, so I joined True Credit about 2 months prior. Printed out my reports, scores and everything and thought 'I am the best consumer EVER!' -- I thought I might get laughed out of the dealership when my FICO's around the board were a crisp any clean 150 points lower; live and learn is the best way that I can describe it. However, I kept my True Credit because that is what I used as I was cleaning up my credit reports.

Understanding FICO will help you decide when and if to pull reports. I rarely pull an actual FICO. I know right around where my score is just based on knowing what factors impact your score. But I would recommend at least getting your EQ from here, as that will be the exact EQ FICO the lender will pull, when you are ready of couse.

Don't forget. A credit score is only part of the puzzle. i just went through the home buying process myself, the FICO was a realtively small factor compared to other aspects like collection accounts needed to be paid, judgments, a tax lien, income, debt ratio ect ect.. All my score needed to was hit a certain point, everything was dependant on me. Don't get discouraged, and don't think your FICO is the end all be all.

Class action is highly unlikely. While the companies teeter on the edge of unethical, nothing they are selling is illegal. All fine print, disclaimers, and membership agreements state exactly what you are buying and what you are providing money for.

I really do feel for you, I went through the same thing. Actually, almost all of us have. But the sooner you drop the anger over the situation the faster you can move on with the understanding you now have.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 11 of 27
adio413
Regular Contributor

Re: What is the point of a "Credit Score" if the "FICO score" is the only one th

wow, thanks man!!

Message 12 of 27
marty56
Super Contributor

All those subcribers falling for the lure of FAKO scores help to keep the cost of the CMS cheap so we benefit from that.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 27
ccubedzx3
Regular Contributor

I'm not really "mad" per se, I just wish I found out about FICO before I found out about FAKO.  If I did, I would of been able to start my course of action sooner.  I just hope I can get my score up to 650 by December......I wonder if it is even realistic?

Starting Score:2/1/16 565
Current Score: 3/1/16 575
Lender Mid Score: 3/1/16 575

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 27
drkaje
Senior Contributor

You also have to be sure someone is selling a current version of FICO. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 27
GoodCreditSeeker

I apologize if this is ignorant....

When you get a denial letter and it says they arrived at their decision based on findings on your EQ, TU, or EX and then they include the score, is this score from the specefic CB or did they pull it from FICO?

Message 16 of 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

The denial should tell you the method of which the score was calculate..  IE...  FICO score of XXX.  Now, FICO is a very widely used scoring method, but not the only one around.  It depends upon lender preference.  Some even have their own proprietary scoring system.

Now, TU, EX and EQ all have their own scores too, and they are offered for sale to lenders, and some lenders do use them, but they aren't of common use.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 17 of 27
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@GoodCreditSeeker wrote:

When you get a denial letter and it says they arrived at their decision based on findings on your EQ, TU, or EX and then they include the score, is this score from the specefic CB or did they pull it from FICO?

Some lenders use their own scoring model,...for instance, I was denied and they said my score was 417.   The scoring model they used was from 300-620...obviously that wasn't a FICO.   Of all the deny letters i've ever received, I can only think of 1 that actually told me they pulled a Fico score.  I'm assuming if they don't state that it's a Fico, then it's probably not...(that is only my assumption).

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 18 of 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Lechte wrote:

@GoodCreditSeeker wrote:

Some lenders use their own scoring model,...for instance, I was denied and they said my score was 417.   The scoring model they used was from 300-620...obviously that wasn't a FICO.   Of all the deny letters i've ever received, I can only think of 1 that actually told me they pulled a Fico score.  I'm assuming if they don't state that it's a Fico, then it's probably not...(that is only my assumption).

There are also those that use a combination of the 2.  They will pull your FICO and then combine it with their own method coming up with a hybrid score.  Just one more way to make it more confusing.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 19 of 27
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

I was just looking through my recent denial letters....they all said they obtained their scores from the CRA they pulled.  BoA was the only one that was a FICO, and it was the only one that was even close to the FICO scores I pulled here.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.