cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is worse overdraft fee or late payment?

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

What is worse overdraft fee or late payment?

I finally got my husband to get onboard with me about paying bills on time. As of right now his vehicle will be late if he waits until he gets paid. He wants to pay the bill and get an overdraft fee. Sooner or later I would like to buy a house, car etc. Do the lenders look at all of the  late payments and overdraft fees or is it something they even ask for? If so which would look worse?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
totallymytravis
New Contributor

Re: What is worse overdraft fee or late payment?

If your car note is no later than 30 days that may be the best option. For example I would get slapped w/ a $6 late fee on my auto loan (which is now paid off Smiley Happy if I paid past the 3rd of the month. As long as I paid before the 3rd of the following month for both months I would be fine bc I never slipped past that 30 days late mark- instead it was 28 or 29. I didn't make a habit out I it but sometimes you get in a mind. Overdrawing an account can cost you hundreds if another transaction hits your account. It can cause a chain reaction of cascading fees. So as long as you are not passing 30 days w/o payment on your car loan it should not show up on your CR.
Message 2 of 6
coterotie
Established Contributor

Here is another solution for you.  Ask the auto loan company for an extension.  Then pay when he gets paid, in essence you will be a month ahead all the time, even though you are paying it when you get paid.

As the above poster mentioned, the OD fee likely is larger than even the 10 day late fee.

Finally, sometimes, auto loan companies can change the due date to be more convenient.

Message 3 of 6
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

I asked my car lender to change my due date and they did no problem. Also, you need to be mindful that when you apply for a mortgage your bank statements will list accumulative NSF and some banks have the year to date NSF so you don't want that coming back to bite you.

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for all the suggestions. Now I now the best thing to do.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Also, remember that simply being late does not give rise to a reportable 30-day late to the CRAs.

While being a day late on payment will give rise to the creditor assessing penalties under the account agreement, lates do not become reportable until delinquency has extended 30 days past the billing due date.

You thus have a 30-day window wherein an account can be late under the account agreement, but does not rise to a reportable late.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.