Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of attorney do I need?

tag
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

What kind of attorney do I need?

I was recently made aware of an 8 year old judgment against me by means of a writ of execution on my bank accounts.  The original judgment was for 13,000.  They have added 7,000 in interest so it's now 20,000 total.  They wiped my bank accounts out of 10,000.  

I would like to talk to an attorney.  Called the local Barr assoc. got an appointment but I'm quite disappointed by the conversation.  The person I spoke with didn't seem to be the lawyer or didn't seem to have the answers to my questions and kept having to ask someone in another room and also answered many questions very vaguely like, "I assume" or "that could be".  I want to know what else this judgment holder could do to me (sheriff sale of personal items? force the sale of our home?).  I want to know if this writ of execution is ongoing or if they would need to do it again in order to keep taking my money (if I were to put more money in there).  

This lawyer person mentioned filing for bk right off the bat but I am not at all interested in that.  I just spent the last 10 years with crap credit because of these old issues.  To file for bk now, after my credit has rebounded would be such a cruel joke.  Not to mention, at this point, this judgment holder has already gotten 10,000 on a 13,000 judgment (ignoring the 7,000 in interest).  I don't see that filing for bk would be possible or needed.  

Ideally, the judgment holder is willing to settle for what they already got and we can consider this satisfied.  But when I expressed to the attorney that I would like to arrange a settlement, right away they want to know how much I am willing to pay per month to make payments on the judgement.  I'm beyond frustrated that we are even having that conversation yet.  I want this resolved.  

This company has made no legitimate attempt to collect on this judgment for years.  I would have been willing to make payments before they snatched every dime in my accounts but not now.  I would have been in a better place to make payments before they took all of my money and left me wondering how I was going to pay my mortgage or cash my paycheck but not now.   

Thoughts??

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What kind of attorney do I need?

@hopingsoon wrote:

I was recently made aware of an 8 year old judgment against me by means of a writ of execution on my bank accounts.  The original judgment was for 13,000.  They have added 7,000 in interest so it's now 20,000 total.  They wiped my bank accounts out of 10,000.  

I would like to talk to an attorney.  Called the local Barr assoc. got an appointment but I'm quite disappointed by the conversation.  The person I spoke with didn't seem to be the lawyer or didn't seem to have the answers to my questions and kept having to ask someone in another room and also answered many questions very vaguely like, "I assume" or "that could be".  I want to know what else this judgment holder could do to me (sheriff sale of personal items? force the sale of our home?).  I want to know if this writ of execution is ongoing or if they would need to do it again in order to keep taking my money (if I were to put more money in there).  The writ is ongoing and any monies you put in that bank will be seized until the judgment is fully satisfied.

This lawyer person mentioned filing for bk right off the bat but I am not at all interested in that.  I just spent the last 10 years with crap credit because of these old issues.  To file for bk now, after my credit has rebounded would be such a cruel joke.  Not to mention, at this point, this judgment holder has already gotten 10,000 on a 13,000 judgment (ignoring the 7,000 in interest).  I don't see that filing for bk would be possible or needed.  

Ideally, the judgment holder is willing to settle for what they already got and we can consider this satisfied.  But when I expressed to the attorney that I would like to arrange a settlement, right away they want to know how much I am willing to pay per month to make payments on the judgement.  I'm beyond frustrated that we are even having that conversation yet.  I want this resolved.  

This company has made no legitimate attempt to collect on this judgment for years.  I would have been willing to make payments before they snatched every dime in my accounts but not now.  I would have been in a better place to make payments before they took all of my money and left me wondering how I was going to pay my mortgage or cash my paycheck but not now.   

Thoughts?? Get a consumer law attorney, judgments are pretty much there forever as they can be renewed until they are paid or BK is filed, you are going to have to settle this one way or the other. I would be cashing your paycheck at the issuers bank as long as its a different bank and be paying bills with money orders/cash until the writ is canceled and the judgment either satisfied or payments worked out. The next step for the judgment creditor is wage garnishment. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@hopingsoon wrote:

I would like to talk to an attorney.  Called the local Barr assoc. got an appointment but I'm quite disappointed by the conversation.  The person I spoke with didn't seem to be the lawyer or didn't seem to have the answers to my questions and kept having to ask someone in another room and also answered many questions very vaguely like, "I assume" or "that could be".  I want to know what else this judgment holder could do to me (sheriff sale of personal items? force the sale of our home?).  I want to know if this writ of execution is ongoing or if they would need to do it again in order to keep taking my money (if I were to put more money in there).  The writ is ongoing and any monies you put in that bank will be seized until the judgment is fully satisfied.

Thoughts?? Get a consumer law attorney, judgments are pretty much there forever as they can be renewed until they are paid or BK is filed, you are going to have to settle this one way or the other. I would be cashing your paycheck at the issuers bank as long as its a different bank and be paying bills with money orders/cash until the writ is canceled and the judgment either satisfied or payments worked out. The next step for the judgment creditor is wage garnishment. Good luck Smiley Happy

Hopingsoon... what state are you in?  Tough one... I too am dealing with a judgement.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 3 of 4
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

PA here.  So, from what I understand, they can't garnish my wages.

I understand that this isn't going to just go away but I guess I'm wondering about the possibility of getting them to consider the judgement satisfied for the amount they already have.  

I'd be curious to read any experience people have had in settling judgments for less and if so how much less.

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.