Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What low end card to try next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What low end card to try next?

So I have the Cap 1 Platinum CL $1000 going on 6-8 weeks old, recently received pre approved Merrick at $750 which ended in s hard pull, but I got the card. I know I should just garden with these and the handful of Comenity stire cards, but waiting for the numbers to change is boring and I crave action.

What should I shoot for next and how soon? I think Cap 1 QS1 in Dec./Jan. Right now the scores appear to be in the low 600's with CCT Experian at 622....so 4 months out might be a bit better. Is there another card to keep my eye on or anything to look for in between?

I sure enjoyed the bump that Merrick addition seemed to produce.

I don't plan to do anything for at least 18 days when I can see my real TU and Equifax again. Just planning ahead.

Tell me just to stay in the garden, I need to hear it....but help me plan a timeline and a goal or two to look forward to. Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: What low end card to try next?

Haven you thought about finding a local Credit union ? Or if you already have one , try for a card with them. I understand how nerve racking this thing can be , just checking every day waiting on the scores to go up..uugghh it gets so stressful .
Message 2 of 43
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Don't do it.

I started in February, you can see my scores in my siggy. I was starting to climb and kept apping. Now I have SO many inquiries and just have to sit back and wait for them to disappear in 2 years. 

Your scores can't support a bunch more apps. You're going to end up with a lot of HP for nothing. If you have 2 majors and a "handful" of store cards, you have to stop and just garden. 

You don't need to app for a QS1. Why? You will be able to convert your Platinum to a QS in short order (same rewards, no annual fee). I opened my Platinum in February and in June converted it to a QS. May have been able to do it before then just never asked. And my starting CL was only $300 (up to $800 now and waiting on steps). 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Aduke,  yes a card from one of my CU's is possible...I really don't want to approach that until its a sure thing.  I wouldn't like fo rthem to tell me no.  i think after the first of the year my credit picture should be a lot better.  Great thought though!

Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

MrsCHX, I know you're right!  Liek you I app'ed way to much a few months ago before i did all my research.  I have 7 on Experian, 4 on TU as we speak...it hadn't occuured to me that this is pulling me down significantly.  I suppose I should be really thankful I managed the cards I have at the limits they granted...and both of those set to double at 6-7 months.  I'm lucky really

Tell me more about the QS conversion, was that just a phone call?  Did you go from Platinum to QS or QS1?  I didn't think the QS was a real possibility, but now you have me thinking.  The QS is the better no fee version correct?

Thanks for the response...

Message 5 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

MrsCHX, I know you're right!  Liek you I app'ed way to much a few months ago before i did all my research.  I have 7 on Experian, 4 on TU as we speak...it hadn't occuured to me that this is pulling me down significantly.  I suppose I should be really thankful I managed the cards I have at the limits they granted...and both of those set to double at 6-7 months.  I'm lucky really

Tell me more about the QS conversion, was that just a phone call?  Did you go from Platinum to QS or QS1?  I didn't think the QS was a real possibility, but now you have me thinking.  The QS is the better no fee version correct?

Yes, you can easily upgrade the Platinum to a QS with no AF. Just call CS and ask to have rewards added to your card.

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I realize you're a REBEL and all.....But
If you re-read your question it should give you pause.

You're asking for how to stay in LOW TIER Hell? Huh?

Why would you want to guarantee yourself mediocre cards and limits? Rhetorical, I know how 'credit crack' affects our brains but you must RESIST, friend...put that pipe down😂

Look jk aside
2 of the top 3 important aspects of growing your scores, in order to get the Mountain Top ...can be the easiest to do but the hardest to manage to Just Do...

And that's keeping the debt ratio LOW &
letting TIME work it's magic!

You can't rush Aging but like it or not AGE is important and luckily it's FREE for the taking, of course it takes time to take it😃

Yeah, it sucks that it takes 10 months to show 10 months worth of history and after that it's still just 10 raggedy 10 months, which is 'cute' but still isn't even a freaking year.

I agree, it's best to couple this hobby with ANOTHER one at the same time, one that can add more immediate gratification but this is more like dieting you aren't gonna SEE fast daily changes and if you try some dumb ish you're gonna screw yourself up and stay fat

Unless, you want to wallow around in the 600's crying about being STUCK with ish cards, scratching your head and kicking rocks.....

I'd suggest leaving those B.S. cards alone and retire your app trigger finger till at least after the next President takes an oath....trust me, it'll be better for you in the long run.

Practice keeping your debt ratios low and 'play' app with SP CLI request to soothe the urge.

Best of Luck
Message 7 of 43
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just did it over chat! Super easy!!!

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 8 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gemini 101, I KNOW your right....I'm not a patient guy.  Smiley Happy Will work to resist lol

Message 9 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my gosh.....Norman and MrsCHX....just got upgraded to regular QS through the chat....you guys ROCk!

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.