Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What next? Help greatly appreciated :)

tag
rsa85
Established Member

What next? Help greatly appreciated :)

I have been working on improving credit for sometime now after some financial diffculties I had about 6yrs ago...along with being naive and in my 20's lol.  I am looking to purchase a home and really want to see how high I can boost my score over the next 6 months.

I have managed to raise my score from high 400's/low 500's to where it is currently:

FICO EQ-631, TU-665, EXP-669

Mortgage Scores EQ 647(Score 5), TU 690 (Score 4), EXP 692 (Score 2)

Current Credit Profile:

Revolving Accts:  

NFCU GoRewards $6.6K, $0 Balance, New Acct

NFCU Cash Rewards $10.2K, $330 Balance, 2 months old

NFCU CLOC $15k, $0 Balance, New Acct

Capitol One QS $1.5k, $40 Blaance, 2 yrs old

Capitol One QS $800, $35 Balance, 8 yrs old (authorized user)

Capitol One Platinum CHARGE OFF, Balance $743, Last Activity May09....Still reports monthly only on EQ (why scores lower)...will this fall off this May!?!?

Installment Accts:

NFCU Auto Loan: Pays as agreed, No lates, 7 months old

4 other auto loans, all paid as agreed,  no lates,  3 accts from over last 4 yrs, 1 acct from 2005?

1 old repossesion, reporting by bureau is inconsistent...was repo'ed in 01/10...which reflects on EQ and TU but EXP shows bad payments through 07/11

Collections:

-Calvary Portfolio Services: Balance $6151...From old BoA CC...It says date assigned 09/28/12...this debt has to be close to 7yo, How do I figure out when this will fall off?

-Unique National Collections: Balance $40, old Library debt lol, I contacted the library and they said "Paying the the balance in full will result in the library notifing the collection agency of the payment.  The collection agency will update their records to reflect full payment .  Typically, within 8 wks of payment, the debt will be officially expunged from your credit report."  Should I do it?  I'm afraid to "wake up" a collection thats so old.  Date assigned 10/03/11

-FCO, Paid for less then full balance...I've read their impossible to deal with.  Its from an old apt and had to pay to get approved for a place a couple yrs ago Date assigned 03/31/2011

-Professional Account Mnagement: $65, Assigned 04/23/09, I've heard if you pay they remove from credit, but this will fall of in April correct?

I've been working really hard on rebuilding and think I'm on the right track.  Just really trying to clean up to get a boost to buy a house.  I've opened a few new accts with NFCU but I'm really trying to nurture that relationship with them.  In the garden now...ANY SUGGESTIONS on next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: What next? Help greatly appreciated :)

@rsa85 wrote:

I have been working on improving credit for sometime now after some financial diffculties I had about 6yrs ago...along with being naive and in my 20's lol.  I am looking to purchase a home and really want to see how high I can boost my score over the next 6 months.

I have managed to raise my score from high 400's/low 500's to where it is currently:

FICO EQ-631, TU-665, EXP-669

Mortgage Scores EQ 647(Score 5), TU 690 (Score 4), EXP 692 (Score 2)

Current Credit Profile:

Revolving Accts:  

NFCU GoRewards $6.6K, $0 Balance, New Acct

NFCU Cash Rewards $10.2K, $330 Balance, 2 months old

NFCU CLOC $15k, $0 Balance, New Acct

Capitol One QS $1.5k, $40 Blaance, 2 yrs old

Capitol One QS $800, $35 Balance, 8 yrs old (authorized user)

Capitol One Platinum CHARGE OFF, Balance $743, Last Activity May09....Still reports monthly only on EQ (why scores lower)...will this fall off this May!?!? Yes

Installment Accts:

NFCU Auto Loan: Pays as agreed, No lates, 7 months old

4 other auto loans, all paid as agreed,  no lates,  3 accts from over last 4 yrs, 1 acct from 2005?

1 old repossesion, reporting by bureau is inconsistent...was repo'ed in 01/10...which reflects on EQ and TU but EXP shows bad payments through 07/11

Collections:

-Calvary Portfolio Services: Balance $6151...From old BoA CC...It says date assigned 09/28/12...this debt has to be close to 7yo, How do I figure out when this will fall off?

The credit report will list date of fall off.

-Unique National Collections: Balance $40, old Library debt lol, I contacted the library and they said "Paying the the balance in full will result in the library notifing the collection agency of the payment.  The collection agency will update their records to reflect full payment .  Typically, within 8 wks of payment, the debt will be officially expunged from your credit report."  Should I do it?  I'm afraid to "wake up" a collection thats so old.  Date assigned 10/03/11. Pay It.

-FCO, Paid for less then full balance...I've read their impossible to deal with.  Its from an old apt and had to pay to get approved for a place a couple yrs ago Date assigned 03/31/2011. It will fall off, but is paid, do not stress.

-Professional Account Mnagement: $65, Assigned 04/23/09, I've heard if you pay they remove from credit, but this will fall of in April correct?  Pay it anyway.

I've been working really hard on rebuilding and think I'm on the right track.  Just really trying to clean up to get a boost to buy a house.  I've opened a few new accts with NFCU but I'm really trying to nurture that relationship with them.  In the garden now...ANY SUGGESTIONS on next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 6
rsa85
Established Member

Thanks for the response IF.  I checked my reports and dont see anywhere that it shows when something will fall off?  Also, do you think I need a store acct...I currently dont have one.  Maybe Amazon or something if that nature, or should I just garden?  

Message 3 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@rsa85 wrote:

Thanks for the response IF.  I checked my reports and dont see anywhere that it shows when something will fall off?  Also, do you think I need a store acct...I currently dont have one.  Maybe Amazon or something if that nature, or should I just garden?  

Get the free annual reports, not the ones from here.  They definitely list when will fall off, I started 550.  No store cards, I never got one, certain scores are dinged for them, insurance rates do not like them.  If you want another card, get a secured card from credit union.  Check if they graduate.  If you join, you can probably get secured card without hard pull. It's how I started.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If your cleanup is directed towards a mortgage app, a significant factor may be whether the mortgage lendor will require payment of any unpaid, delinquent debt as a pre-condition for any approval, regardless of score.

If you have a prospecitve lendor in mind, a preliminary contact may give you info on their qualification requirments.

That might affect your decisions on how to deal with the unpaid collections.......

Message 5 of 6
rsa85
Established Member

Good point Robert, thank you. I plan on going through NFCU so I can reach out to them. Also I pulled my free annual actual reports and have quite a few things falling off in the next few months...so that's exciting and I should see a pretty nice jump from that.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.