Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What now?

tag
Karnage146
Contributor

What now?

I started 6 months ago with a score of 553. I have gotten rid of several baddies and paid off all my debt. Score is now a 642. I currently still have some baddies that I'm working on, Verizon, Midland, Portfolio and Capital One and Chase, you know, the tough ones to get eliminated.

I currently only have a secured Capital One Card with a $200 limit. What other cards can I apply for with my score? I want to start gardening as well as continue working on my baddies. Let me know what I can do, thanks!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: What now?

You could try the shopping cart trick and/or GE backed cards like Walmart. Depending on the age and the severity of the derogs, you might be successful.

Good luck.
Message 2 of 9
Karnage146
Contributor

Which cards Work with the shopping card trick?
Message 3 of 9
guykara
Frequent Contributor

Are you part of a credit union?  I was in a similar situation.  I just signed up with NFCU for a checking/savings account and decided to apply for a credit card.  I was very suprised when they offered me a CL of $12k.  Give it a shot!

Starting Scores (10/18/2013): EX: 603 | EQ: 572 | TU: 659
5/05/2014 EX: 628 | EQ: 627 | TU: 623
5/25/2014: EX: 628 | EQ: 635 | TU: 623
Current Scores: EX: 670 | EQ: 663 | TU: 681
Goal Scores: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

There is a thread somewhere for shopping cart trick; I hear that Comenity Bank (VS, Limited, Express, J. Crew) usually work for it...but I haven't had any success. I think I have  a pop-up blocker issue though.

My scores were just around 600 and I was approved for a Barclays MC $500 and Capital One Journey $1000....Target $200 and VS CLI from $100 to $300. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:

Message 5 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@guykara wrote:

Are you part of a credit union?  I was in a similar situation.  I just signed up with NFCU for a checking/savings account and decided to apply for a credit card.  I was very suprised when they offered me a CL of $12k.  Give it a shot!

I think I want to go the credit union route.....I just applied for a personal loan, do you think they will have to do another HP if I want a credit card?

Message 6 of 9
Karnage146
Contributor

Newcomme, what kinda things did you have on your report when you applied?
Message 7 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

I have one unpaid collection left....about 15 paid collections, paid judgement, 2 paid tax liens, 10 student loans (all deferred). 4 credit cards in good standing ( 2 Cap1, Barclays MC, Target, and VS--highest limit is 1k.)  I would get rid of one of the newer cards it I was approved for the credit union credit card....funny thing is, I am a member of 3 credit unions and I never take advantage of the benefits.....cc interest rate is only 9% vs. the personal loan is 13%....what was I thinking???

Message 8 of 9
Karnage146
Contributor

I'm having issues with the prequalifiers, I've only been living in my current home for about 7 months so I think the system can't find me.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.