Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What qualifies as a dispute?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What qualifies as a dispute?

I have a charge off that was a repo from gm financial on my report. They sold the vehicle for $6,500 and say i still owe $5900. I noticed looking on my transunion report that in the details it says repo August 2013 payment was 90 days behind in writing,however when i look at the payment key calender it shows June 2013 60 days late,july 2013 30 days late then august 2013 30 days late. Is that something i can dispute for inaccuracy and possibly get it removed? Sorry if its a dumb question im new at all this.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What qualifies as a dispute?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a charge off that was a repo from gm financial on my report. They sold the vehicle for $6,500 and say i still owe $5900. I noticed looking on my transunion report that in the details it says repo August 2013 payment was 90 days behind in writing,however when i look at the payment key calender it shows June 2013 60 days late,july 2013 30 days late then august 2013 30 days late. Is that something i can dispute for inaccuracy and possibly get it removed? Sorry if its a dumb question im new at all this.

You could dispute the discrepancies but if its not updating monthly I would just leave it alone as when it updates it looks like a new CO in Ficos eyes and would cause a drop in score. Might want to be careful as well poking the bear if this is still within your states SOL.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What qualifies as a dispute?

Credit reporting does not require that the creditor report each and every delinquency, and that delinquencies cannot be reported as being of a lower level when they are in fact more delinquent.

In any dispute, the furnisher always has the right to correct any inaccuracy.  It is not a violation to have reported inaccurate information.  Humans make errors, and statute cannot mandate human accuracy.  The dipsute process onlyy requires deletion of inaccurate information if the furnisher cannot verify its accuracy as reported, or update so as to overcome any asserted inaccuracy.

In the case of monthly delinquencies, the result of a dispute will likely be their detailed addition of each and every monthly delinquency, making thngs worse.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.