Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What really needs to be included in a DV from attorney

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What really needs to be included in a DV from attorney

I have been reading conflicting reports about what a CA/JDB/attorney need to provide when a debt is disputed. I went through the FDCPA and FCPA and am still unsure. Some say only name, address, account # and balance from the OC, other say a whole slew of documentation.

What is the truth?

I got a letter from an attorney indicating he had been retained to collect a 750 debt now with HBLC, OC is HSBC. The letter had the dunning informaiton and then at the bottom, included DV info of name, address, acc # and balance from OC. 

Is there any point sending him a DV letter?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What really needs to be included in a DV from attorney

Yes, of course there is a point in sending a DV letter.

*I* can tell you that you have a debt from a HSBC in the amount of $750. I could also probably give a decent guess on the account number. Does that mean that I am legally entitled to collect on the debt? Nope.

Send a DV letter demanding to know the other details involved. Your addy at the time would be nice ... so would the timeframe of the account's opening and defaulting (last payment made). Another little luxury would be knowing *exactly* how much the debt is for (including interest -- and HOW that interest was computed).

However, bear in mind, that depending on the SoL on the debt, you could be prodding a napping dragon with a sharp stick.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What really needs to be included in a DV from attorney

Look at the reporting from the OC. What is the DOFD (or the drop date)?    What is your SOL?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.