Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's after DV?

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: What's after DV?

@bichonmom wrote:

Thank you for the replies. This has me really frustrated because they put it on my CR without sending me ANY notification. I discovered it after I pulled my CR when I was denied credit.

After researching on the forum, I discovered that they were a JDB and also found other complaints about them from Googling them. I just have to have some rights here. I don't believe I owe this money. If I do, then prove it to me and I'll gladly pay it. Otherwise I want it off of my CR. Now, I'm afraid that even if I do pay it, I've gotten them angry by writing the DV letter, and they'll refuse to PFD just to be nasty.

They won't validate so now you file complaints with the FTC, BBB and your state AG office. 

My AG office and the BBB got involved after I submitted my complaints and within 3 weeks the TL was deleted and has never come back.

Message 12 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the info. CMRRR was dated 5/9, so I guess I'll wait 2 more weeks and then file complaints if I don't hear anything and/or it isn't removed from CR. This credit stuff is SO confusing and frustrating sometimes.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 28
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

I disagree.  If they find out it is not your debt how can they legally leave a collection on your report that is not yours and that they know is not yours.

That is the purpose of validation, to make sure they have the correct consumer. 

This is a section of the FTC summary of the FDCPA:

8. Effect of including proof with first notice. A debt collector must verify a disputed debt even if he has included proof of the debt with the first communication, because the section is intended to assist the consumer when a debt collector inadvertently contacts the [53 Fed. Reg. 50109] wrong consumer at the start of his collection efforts.

I agree with this IF they know it's not yours and report anyway.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

I disagree.  If they find out it is not your debt how can they legally leave a collection on your report that is not yours and that they know is not yours.

8. Effect of including proof with first notice. A debt collector must verify a disputed debt even if he has included proof of the debt with the first communication, because the section is intended to assist the consumer when a debt collector inadvertently contacts the [53 Fed. Reg. 50109] wrong consumer at the start of his collection efforts.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

+1

I do not see where any CA must DV under the FDCPA unless both the DV was timely made and the CA wishes to continue collection activities. 

Effect of including proof with first notice. A debt collector must verify a disputed debt even if he has included proof of the debt with the first communication, because the section is intended to assist the consumer when a debt collector inadvertently contacts the [53 Fed. Reg. 50109] wrong consumer at the start of his collection efforts.

The FTC Commentary quoted does not place any general, unconditional obligation for a CA to respond to a DV request.  It simply states that even though the CA may have provided data -- even though they were not required to do so -- that meets the elements of a proper response in their first communication with the consumer, if the consumer makes a timely request for DV the CA must do so -- again -- or not be able to continue collection activities.

Regarding CRA reporting, the FTC has also issued Commentaries that indicate that CRA reporting prior to a DV do not have to be removed. 

Section 807(8) prohibits "Communicating or threatening to communicate to any person [false] credit information . . ., including the failure to communicate that a disputed debt is disputed."

1. Disputed debt. If a debt collector knows that a debt is disputed by the consumer, either from receipt of written notice (section 809) or other means, and reports it to a credit bureau, he must report it as disputed.

2. Post-report dispute. When a debt collector learns of a dispute after reporting the debt to a credit bureau, the dispute need not also be reported.

And also ...

Section 809(b) requires that, if the consumer disputes the debt or requests identification of the original creditor in writing, the collector must cease collection efforts until he verifies the debt and mails a response.

A debt collector may report a debt to a credit bureau within the 30-day notice period, before he receives a request for validation or a dispute notice from the consumer.

Pre-DV reporting need not be deleted, nor indicated as under dispute.  If not already reported, a CA may not report once notified of a timely made DV request unless the CA verifies.  If the CA verifies and ultimately decides to report, the CA needs to report that the tradeline is in dispute.

Message 15 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

From a BK years ago to:

+1

I've seen this a lot on posts here. What does this mean?

I do not see where any CA must DV under the FDCPA unless both the DV was timely made and the CA wishes to continue collection activities. 

Effect of including proof with first notice. A debt collector must verify a disputed debt even if he has included proof of the debt with the first communication, because the section is intended to assist the consumer when a debt collector inadvertently contacts the [53 Fed. Reg. 50109] wrong consumer at the start of his collection efforts.

The FTC Commentary quoted does not place any general, unconditional obligation for a CA to respond to a DV request.  It simply states that even though the CA may have provided data -- even though they were not required to do so -- that meets the elements of a proper response in their first communication with the consumer, if the consumer makes a timely request for DV the CA must do so -- again -- or not be able to continue collection activities.

As soon as I discovered this on my CR, I sent a DV letter to CA. As they did not send me written notice before putting it on my CR, wouldn't that be considered "timely request for the DV"?

Regarding CRA reporting, the FTC has also issued Commentaries that indicate that CRA reporting prior to a DV do not have to be removed. 

Section 807(8) prohibits "Communicating or threatening to communicate to any person [false] credit information . . ., including the failure to communicate that a disputed debt is disputed."

1. Disputed debt. If a debt collector knows that a debt is disputed by the consumer, either from receipt of written notice (section 809) or other means, and reports it to a credit bureau, he must report it as disputed.

2. Post-report dispute. When a debt collector learns of a dispute after reporting the debt to a credit bureau, the dispute need not also be reported.

If I'm reading this correctly, it actually rewards CA who illegally put a collection on our CR without sending us written notice, because once it's on our CR, the CA doesn't have to remove it, nor do they have to note that we are disputing it. I have trouble reading legaleze, but some of this seems contradictory.

And also ...

Section 809(b) requires that, if the consumer disputes the debt or requests identification of the original creditor in writing, the collector must cease collection efforts until he verifies the debt and mails a response.

Doesn't "collection efforts" include continuing to reporting on the CR?

A debt collector may report a debt to a credit bureau within the 30-day notice period, before he receives a request for validation or a dispute notice from the consumer.

Again, this seems to reward unethical CA who put collections on the CR without sending us proper notice. What if the CA reports to the CRA and does NOT send us any notice?

Pre-DV reporting need not be deleted, nor indicated as under dispute.  If not already reported, a CA may not report once notified of a timely made DV request unless the CA verifies.  If the CA verifies and ultimately decides to report, the CA needs to report that the tradeline is in dispute.

So, is the bottom line that I'm without recourse?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

From a BK years ago to:

+1

I've seen this a lot on posts here. What does this mean?

It means, "I agree."

As soon as I discovered this on my CR, I sent a DV letter to CA. As they did not send me written notice before putting it on my CR, wouldn't that be considered "timely request for the DV"?

In my opinion, yes.  If they never sent you a notice, the 30-day period should run from the time you noticed their tradeline on your credit report.

If I'm reading this correctly, it actually rewards CA who illegally put a collection on our CR without sending us written notice, because once it's on our CR, the CA doesn't have to remove it, nor do they have to note that we are disputing it. I have trouble reading legaleze, but some of this seems contradictory.

I am not sure there is any requirement that you receive written notice before they post an account to your CR.  

And also ...

Doesn't "collection efforts" include continuing to reporting on the CR?

No.  Once they have reported, that's a bell that cannot be unrung unless you are either the victim of identity theft or it is shown that the account is not yours.  

Again, this seems to reward unethical CA who put collections on the CR without sending us proper notice. What if the CA reports to the CRA and does NOT send us any notice?

Again, I am not sure there is any legal requirement that a CA notify anybody before adding their tradeline to your credit report. 

So, is the bottom line that I'm without recourse?

I cannot say that you are without recourse. 

if the account is not yours, then I see two possibilities:

1.  You are the victim of identity theft; or

2.  It is a case of mistaken identity.

If #1, there are steps you can take to get the tradeline from reporting.  If #2, that's why you obtain the name of the original creditor and then contact them to verify if it is, in fact, your account or not. 

Message 17 of 28
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I still disagree and believe you are both wrong. 

I know what the FDCPA says and none of the things you pointed out said they don't have to delete once they find out it is not your debt or they won't validate.  No where does it say prior reporting, once proven as not yours or they won't validate, will  not be deleted.   I also understand what can happend before and after a DV.  Again, it does not say they don't have to delete.

If that were the case, the CAs could put anyones debt on anyones report and have nothing to worry about. 

No way do I believe or will ever believe that if you can prove it is not your debt or they can't prove it is yours, would it be allowed to continue reporting on your CR.

This is part of a suit against a CA filed by the FTC:

• Requires the defendants, when a debt is questionable or a consumer questions it, to either close the account and end collection efforts or investigate the dispute. If they cannot show that the consumer owes a debt, they cannot sell the debt or provide it to any business other than the original client; and

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

I still disagree and believe you are both wrong. 

I know what the FDCPA says and none of the things you pointed out said they don't have to delete once they find out it is not your debt.  No where does it say prior reporting, once proven as not yours, will  not be deleted.   I also understand what can happend before and after a DV.  Again, it does not say they don't have to delete.

If that were the case, the CAs could put anyones debt on anyones report and have nothing to worry about. 

No way do I believe or will ever believe that if you can prove it is not your debt or they can't prove it is yours, would it be allowed to continue reporting on your CR.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

The FTC has made it clear that in your ordinary DV, a CA does not need to remove the tradeline if they fail to respond.  We see ample evidence of that hear in the forums.

If, however, you can show that the debt is simply not yours because, for example:

1.  It had already been paid;

2.  The OC made a billing error;

3.  Or you find the debt actually belongs to another person;

... then the CA is required to delete the tradeline.  That is not a function of, but can be a consequence of DV. 

Since it is settled law that the requirements for a valid response to a DV request are minimal, there are probably many, many cases where the consumer feels the debt is not theirs and the CA is convinced, on the other hand, that it is.  The CA has your name and address and likely even has come up with a SSN and DOB off of your credit report.  Given that pretty much the only thing they need to give you for a proper DV response is a breakdown of the amount owed, identity of the debtor and, if requested, the name & address of the OC, on the face of it there is probably little you can gleen that in and of itself would prove the debt is not yours if you are up against a person with a similar name.  It is up to the consumer to dig.

If the collection account does not belong to the consumer and the CA has been made aware of that, then if they continue reporting they are in violation of § 807.  But it will take more than just a vague claim that the debt is not yours.  99.9% of people in jail claim innocence.

In FDCPA Staff opinion: Lefevre-Cass of 1997, dated well after the initial FTC Staff Commentary of 1988 which was earlier quoted, the FTC Advisory is still clear:

I. "Is it permissible under the FDCPA for a debt collector to report charged-off debts to a consumer reporting agency during the term of the 30-day validation period detailed in Section 1692g?"

Yes. As stated in the Commission's Staff Commentary on the FDCPA (copy enclosed), a debt collector may accurately report a debt to a consumer reporting agency within the thirty day validation period (p. 50103). We do not regard the action of reporting a debt to a consumer reporting agency as inconsistent with the consumer's dispute or verification rights under § 1692g.

II. "Is it permissible under the FDCPA for a debt collector to report, or continue to report, a consumer's charged-off debt to a consumer reporting agency after the debt collector has received, but not responded to, a consumer's written dispute during the 30-day validation period detailed in § 1692g?"

As you know, Section 1692g(b) requires the debt collector to cease collection of the debt at issue if a written dispute is received within the 30-day validation period until verification is obtained. Because we believe that reporting a charged-off debt to a consumer reporting agency, particularly at this stage of the collection process, constitutes "collection activity" on the part of the collector, our answer to your question is No. Although the FDCPA is unclear on this point, we believe the reality is that debt collectors use the reporting mechanism as a tool to persuade consumers to pay, just like dunning letters and telephone calls. Of course, if a dispute is received after a debt has been reported to a consumer reporting agency, the debt collector is obligated by Section 1692e(8) to inform the consumer reporting agency of the dispute.

You cannot annotate a tradeline as in dispute if it has been deleted.  That would be sort of like painting a house that doesn't exist.  Try if you like.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

This is part of a suit against a CA filed by the FTC:

• Requires the defendants, when a debt is questionable or a consumer questions it, to either close the account and end collection efforts or investigate the dispute. If they cannot show that the consumer owes a debt, they cannot sell the debt or provide it to any business other than the original client; and

Not that I don't trust you, but you really need to provide links so that it can be seen whether you are taking quotes out of context like you did with the FTC Staff Commentary.  Even so, what you provided sounds a lot like a Consent Decree rather than a lawsuit and, even if a lawsuit, the conditions stated apply to one and only one particular defendant.  It is extremely common to order more stringent requirements than stated by law to defendants shown to have the propensity to violate the law. 

In any event, it is settled law that all a CA has to do is provide a proper response with minimal data to a consumer in order to continue collection activities.  If a CA knows the debt does not belong to a consumer, then obviously other sections of the FDCPA prohibit, under sanction, any collection activity irrespective of a timely-made DV request.  It would be inaccurate to state that a CA must delete every tradeline involving a DV request until a response, if ever, is made.  Marking a previously entered tradeline as in dispute and never updating it is not a continued collection activity. 

If a CA does not DV, they cannot collect.  CAs do, as we have continually seen on this forum, either sell the debt or return it to the OC and then the OC reassigns the debt.  It is perfectly legal.

Interesting enough, in the OP's case the CA can probably completely ignore her request and consider it untimely.  She says she was never given notice and, even though I believe her, all the CA has to do is say they did send her a notice a year ago.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.