cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the Best Secured Credit Card to apply for?

tag
ptilda
Established Contributor

Re: What's the Best Secured Credit Card to apply for?

With your score the way it is, you might go into a branch, sit down with them and show what's happened to affect your score. They might be a bit more willing to work with the low score. Good luck!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 11 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ptilda wrote:

With your score the way it is, you might go into a branch, sit down with them and show what's happened to affect your score. They might be a bit more willing to work with the low score. Good luck!

Unfortunately, branch personnel do not make UW decisions.  

OP, where are you getting your scores from? What baddies are reporting on your CR's?

Message 12 of 20
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

My score was 426 when I got turned down for a Cap 1 secured but I did get a Fingerhut FreshStart account.
Message 13 of 20
ptilda
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@ptilda wrote:

OP, where are you getting your scores from? What baddies are reporting on your CR's?

They do at a credit union, and also I had luck with tha with US Bank. Don't have anything from BofA, so I don't know about them.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 14 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ptilda wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@ptilda wrote:

They do at a credit union, and also I had luck with tha with US Bank. Don't have anything from BofA, so I don't know about them.

CUs have UWs that can look at your application.  Typical banks have CSR who relay the information to a CA over the phone- BOA, Chase Citi etc have off site UWs and CA. 

Message 15 of 20
monieleazenby
Established Member

What is a Fingerhunt Fresh Start? Well my credit scores are weird really on this site it states my EX score is 480 EQ 508 but from a denial letter from Bank of America and some other companies I applied to the rejection letter stated my scores were, EX 546 EQ 546 then at a different time I went for a mortgage loan and my credit scores were EX 591 EQ 508 and TU zero I had no score on the credit report.

My problem is this, I had another persons BK sitting on my credit report for nine years which I was rejected time and time again so I never was able to accrue a good revolving account.

I have defaulted Student Loans which will reconcile during tax and medical bills I'm disputing as well which are not mine which total about $25,000. Long story short my baddies are all of that just baddies and no revolving accounts, thus I am trying to build my credit with new revolving accounts so that my scores can increase as well until I can settle the situation with the collections I am disputing.

I know in time this will change for the better.

Monie

Starting Score: 591
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 20
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I might be wrong, but I think that rehabbing those student loans would turn them into positive tradelines where as settling them will still basically close them out a delinquent, but paid? Someone in the rebuilder forum might be able to answer that better though.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 17 of 20
monieleazenby
Established Member

I think your right I probably will do that instead of pay it off. Thank you for all of your help this family forum is so helpful for me :0

Monie

Starting Score: 591
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 19 of 20
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

I did my first secured card with my credit union. I had an established relationship with them -- they couldn't give me any real credit, like a co-signed auto loan, but they did give me a secured card ($500). I think I was about 480 at the time. Within a few short months, I received offers & opened two unsecured cards with a $300 credit line each. While I'm working on getting the baddies off, I am at least able to establish a positive payment history. My score is now 594 for TU and 608 for Eq. I don't currently have my Experian score. Definitely get going with a secured card as soon as you can make that happen! :-)

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.