Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's up with these charge offs?

tag
Shokk
Established Contributor

What's up with these charge offs?

I disputed 2 old HSBC charge offs that had transferred to Cap One.  Cap One EO rep said they were sent back to HSBC, so I should dispute them as Cap One no longer owned, but were reporting.

I disputed them with EQ just yesterday.  Updated my report via EQ today, and they're no longer listed under negative accounts.  They do show up under closed accounts, and there was no score movement.

Is this because its disputed?  I don't remember that happening the last time I disputed some items.

EX lists these as positive accounts.

TU only lists one account and shows it listed by HSBC. (I'm assuming that since the address isn't the Cap One address - listing a Utah address)  I didn't dispute this one since I assumed its being listed by HSBC.  Odd thing is they verified it back in June, and I thought Cap One had it at that time.

Thoughts?

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: What's up with these charge offs?

Bump. I have an HSBC charge off and a Cap1 charge off...both with Portfolio Recovery. Cap1 EO told me they researched it and there is nothing they can do...told me maybe I should contact Portfolio Recovery to see if they could help me. SMH. 

These two charge offs and their accompanying collection accounts fall off in 2015. I will keep GW to see if I can get them off earlier....if not, I will have to live with it. I am tired of being denied by Cap1. Tired.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Shokk wrote:

I disputed 2 old HSBC charge offs that had transferred to Cap One.  Cap One EO rep said they were sent back to HSBC, so I should dispute them as Cap One no longer owned, but were reporting.

I disputed them with EQ just yesterday.  Updated my report via EQ today, and they're no longer listed under negative accounts.  They do show up under closed accounts, and there was no score movement.

Is this because its disputed?  I don't remember that happening the last time I disputed some items.

TU only lists one account and shows it listed by HSBC. (I'm assuming that since the address isn't the Cap One address - listing a Utah address)  I didn't dispute this one since I assumed its being listed by HSBC.  Odd thing is they verified it back in June, and I thought Cap One had it at that time.

Thoughts?

I don't see how CapOne sent it back since CapOne bought out these CCs.

Both HSBC and CapOne can report. HSBC should report as a paid off account, CO or otherwise. CapOne should either report as an unpaid CO if they still own the debt, or a paid CO if they sold it to a CA. If HSBC updated as a non-CO'd closed acct, then bonus.

Be careful about looking at stati/labels. Some services, like the ones through the 3 CRAs, will label an account as "negative", "potentiall negative", etc., or positive, and FICO will read it entirely differently. I had some negative accounts that were viewed as positive through FICO, and vice-versa.

Message 3 of 9
12njoy
Super Contributor

I too have two charge off's from HSBC.  They were originally sold to Capital One and I disputed with CRA's and the CFPB.  Both verified.  Well in October 2013 I contacted Capital One who told me that the two accounts were sent back to HSBC.  Mysteriously both accounts disappeared from EQ and TU.  Don't know what happened to them but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.  I decided to call HSBC to see if they infact had the accounts.  Sure enough HSBC has them.  I won't dispute the accounts since they fall off in December 2014 and I don't want them to show back up on EQ and TU.  I can live with them on Experian since my score is higher than EQ.  Just count my time. 

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 4 of 9
Shokk
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@Shokk wrote:

Thoughts?

I don't see how CapOne sent it back since CapOne bought out these CCs.

Both HSBC and CapOne can report. HSBC should report as a paid off account, CO or otherwise. CapOne should either report as an unpaid CO if they still own the debt, or a paid CO if they sold it to a CA. If HSBC updated as a non-CO'd closed acct, then bonus.

Be careful about looking at stati/labels. Some services, like the ones through the 3 CRAs, will label an account as "negative", "potentiall negative", etc., or positive, and FICO will read it entirely differently. I had some negative accounts that were viewed as positive through FICO, and vice-versa.

There were accounts sent back to HSBC.  No clue why, but they were.  Others, same as 12njoy here, have mentioned hearing the same.  My EO rep is the one who told me, and recommended I dispute.

I get daily pulls via EQ, I would expect them to be accurate.  I get what you're saying about how they're listed.  I was more curious about why it disappeared from negative items all together.  Still shows as a charge off under revolving accounts.  I got excited for half a second thinking it was gone.

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 5 of 9
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

This whole HSBC/Cap 1 debacle is for the birds. I haven't touched the HSBC CO. Currently, I'm waiting on Cavalry to verify or delete the baddie. They seem to be having some difficulty....They keep sending me letters saying they are still attempting to verify. Go figure. It's been over a month...I disputed with the CRAs. Waiting.....

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 6 of 9
Shokk
Established Contributor

@fixmycred14 wrote:

This whole HSBC/Cap 1 debacle is for the birds. I haven't touched the HSBC CO. Currently, I'm waiting on Cavalry to verify or delete the baddie. They seem to be having some difficulty....They keep sending me letters saying they are still attempting to verify. Go figure. It's been over a month...I disputed with the CRAs. Waiting.....

It seems to be a bit of a mess.  EX showing positive accounts, EQ shows Cap One reporting, TU shows HSBC reoprting, but only one account.  None of them show a charge off amount or any payment history, which is a good thing.  My guess is it was removed from the negative listing because its currently under dispute.

Another odd thing I noticed.  My Discover AU account went missing from my EQ report.  I called EQ and they said to call Discover.  Called Discover and they said to call EQ.  Totally not surprised by this.  Discover reports on the 12th of every month, which is when it disappeared.  I'll check it again in December.

A funny tidbit:

Had a conversation with my attorneys last Friday.  They asked if I had anything else to send them and I mentioned PRA who had already agreed to delete.

Attorney:  We don't like PRA, send us the info.

Then we discussed Midland.  No violations at a quick glance, but then...

Attorney:  We like Midland even less, we'll find something.

I thought that was kinda awesome.

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 7 of 9
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

@Shokk -- That is funny! i contacted an attorney as well regarding PRA. I do not have any other accts with them and I have filed complaints with BBB and CFPB. A lawsuit may be in order at this point. Thank goodness, they were not entangled in my HSBC acct. Cavalry has that one...

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 8 of 9
Shokk
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@Shokk wrote:

Thoughts?

Going back to this.  I'm assuming if they both do report, that its still only scored as one account if the account numbers are the same?  It would be pretty crappy to count as two charge offs.

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.