cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with collection companies pulling Hard Inq?

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: What's with collection companies pulling Hard Inq?

@scrubs wrote:

if the debt is not paid , they will be pulling your cr for the rest of your life. debt is forever.

Once the debt comes off your CR due to age, they cannot do a hard pull.

Message 11 of 13
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Why? Because they are allowed to. Specifically, when they pull, they might be looking for accurate address or other contact info (e.g. employment, phone) that maybe wasn't available to them before. Also they probably want to see the collectability of any debt. For example, if a debtor has a horrid payment history with collections and no active TLs, then might rank that person low on their collectability list. On the flip side, if they pull they might see a good history with the means to pay a debt and thus collection efforts would probably be profitable for them. Also if they plan to sell the debt, then pulling a given credit profile might be helpful in determining which debts to pass on.

I can see them using it as a way to get contact info or updates on employment, but can't they get that same info with a soft pull?  It seems like there are a lot privacy issues here since we do not have any control over this.  Basically, CAs can damage someone's report intentionally without even knowing if they have the right person (I know, they are "supposed" to have proof, but I think we all know a little better than that).  If a CA reports a collection, at least you can dispute if it isn't accurate, but if they start doing hard pulls, there is nothing you can do about it, even if the debt they own is later proved to incorrect.

Message 12 of 13
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@mauve wrote:

For the love of all that is good, please opt out! 

optoutprescreen.com

Now that you mention that, I wonder if I missed EX when I did all my opt-outs last year?  I had a CA do a hard pull on my EX a couple months ago.  I still have no idea who they are or what they are trying to collect on.  I never received any phone calls or mail from them.  I don't have any baddies left on my report except for 2 medical CA's, and I have added a mortgage and an auto loan in the last 2 years, so I would think they would see me as someone is who is "collectable" when they looked at my report.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.