Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do???Need HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do???Need HELP!

I sent a letter to a finance company who listed a debt as a charge off on my credit report.  This was a company I had a loan through in 2000, however, i paid the balance off.  They are listing a small balance as a charge off....!!!  Also, the company i took the loan out with in 2000 is no longer under the same ownership or name, yet the new company is listing the debt.
Today I recieved a letter in response to my rights under FACTA for  proof and verification of this debt.  It stated that they could not help me with that information unless i send them something with my signature.  Sounds sort of bogus to me!!  I know since they are not a CA its not the same laws....how should i proceed?? They have already verified the debt as VALID with TU and EQ.  Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What should I do???Need HELP!

NO!, Don't send them anything!!! If you sent your DV CMRRR, You should send a letter to the CRA's stating that the CA was unable to verify the debt and include a copy of your Green Card and the letter you sent the CA.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're not talking about a CA. Since it looks like they wont be able to verify, You should dispute it with the CRA's as "Paid, Never Late".

Message Edited by Justn on 08-11-2008 01:41 PM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

nursegal wrote:
I sent a letter to a finance company who listed a debt as a charge off on my credit report.  This was a company I had a loan through in 2000, however, i paid the balance off.  They are listing a small balance as a charge off....!!!  Also, the company i took the loan out with in 2000 is no longer under the same ownership or name, yet the new company is listing the debt.
Today I recieved a letter in response to my rights under FACTA for  proof and verification of this debt.  It stated that they could not help me with that information unless i send them something with my signature.  Sounds sort of bogus to me!!  I know since they are not a CA its not the same laws....how should i proceed?? They have already verified the debt as VALID with TU and EQ.  Thanks!

Was this a CO? Or, did you pay as you should?

Even if you paid after they charged off the debt, they can still list it as a charge off, it should say paid after charge off or paid charge off.

If they have verified inaccurate informationwith the CRA, then send them the OC letter.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid the debt in full.  I sent a letter with my rights under FACTA after they verified the debt as valid (the same OC letter you suggested) in July.  The letter i recieved today basically said i had to send a written signature for them to investigate. 

Message Edited by nursegal on 08-11-2008 04:12 PM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have 30 days to investigate. You have already let them know that. You do not have to give them anything. Just wait out the 30 days.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they truly have 30 days?  I have read that they actually dont have a set time limit since they are not a collection agency.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.