Contributor
nursegal

What should I do???Need HELP!

I sent a letter to a finance company who listed a debt as a charge off on my credit report.  This was a company I had a loan through in 2000, however, i paid the balance off.  They are listing a small balance as a charge off....!!!  Also, the company i took the loan out with in 2000 is no longer under the same ownership or name, yet the new company is listing the debt.
Today I recieved a letter in response to my rights under FACTA for  proof and verification of this debt.  It stated that they could not help me with that information unless i send them something with my signature.  Sounds sort of bogus to me!!  I know since they are not a CA its not the same laws....how should i proceed?? They have already verified the debt as VALID with TU and EQ.  Thanks!
Regular Contributor
Justn

Re: What should I do???Need HELP!

[ Edited ]
NO!, Don't send them anything!!! If you sent your DV CMRRR, You should send a letter to the CRA's stating that the CA was unable to verify the debt and include a copy of your Green Card and the letter you sent the CA.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're not talking about a CA. Since it looks like they wont be able to verify, You should dispute it with the CRA's as "Paid, Never Late".

Message Edited by Justn on 08-11-2008 01:41 PM

Starting Score: 702
Current Score: 728
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus

nursegal wrote:
I sent a letter to a finance company who listed a debt as a charge off on my credit report.  This was a company I had a loan through in 2000, however, i paid the balance off.  They are listing a small balance as a charge off....!!!  Also, the company i took the loan out with in 2000 is no longer under the same ownership or name, yet the new company is listing the debt.
Today I recieved a letter in response to my rights under FACTA for  proof and verification of this debt.  It stated that they could not help me with that information unless i send them something with my signature.  Sounds sort of bogus to me!!  I know since they are not a CA its not the same laws....how should i proceed?? They have already verified the debt as VALID with TU and EQ.  Thanks!

Was this a CO? Or, did you pay as you should?

Even if you paid after they charged off the debt, they can still list it as a charge off, it should say paid after charge off or paid charge off.

If they have verified inaccurate informationwith the CRA, then send them the OC letter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Contributor
nursegal

[ Edited ]
I paid the debt in full.  I sent a letter with my rights under FACTA after they verified the debt as valid (the same OC letter you suggested) in July.  The letter i recieved today basically said i had to send a written signature for them to investigate. 

Message Edited by nursegal on 08-11-2008 04:12 PM
Regular Contributor
Justn

They have 30 days to investigate. You have already let them know that. You do not have to give them anything. Just wait out the 30 days.

Starting Score: 702
Current Score: 728
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor
nursegal

Do they truly have 30 days?  I have read that they actually dont have a set time limit since they are not a collection agency.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}