Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do With this Letter

tag
Hoosierdad
New Visitor

What should I do With this Letter

Thank you all in advanced.

Long story short I sent a PFD to midland back on Feb 13 2014, and never got a response. Now a whole month and a half later they send me a letter basically looking to settle for 60% off. GREAT NEWS FOR ME!!!

what I am looking for though is some advise on how to handle this situation. Do I just come out and say I am willing to settle as long as i get someone who is authorized to approve PFD or submit me a letter agreeing to terms of X Y Z...etc. Please help

i really need to get this TL off my CR

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
navistar
Regular Contributor

Re: What should I do With this Letter

does the letter agree to "PFD" or just discounting your debt?

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 2 of 6
Hoosierdad
New Visitor

Just Discounting my debt i think. They actually sent the letter to my parents house today and since me and my dad have the same name he opened it called and found out it was for me.

Message 3 of 6
navistar
Regular Contributor

seems you need to call and clarify your letter to them. maybe work your way up the ladder. i think they usually pass you around the room before actually forwarding you to a supervisor. Dont take no for an answer. Apparently they want to get paid because they discounted it, so all that remains is a simple little delete

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You offfered a pay for deletion, and apparently they countered with an offer to settle for less, but without agreement to delete.

You can continue negotiations by countering with acceptance of the settlement offer, but with the additional contingency that they also agree to credit report deletion.

You would thus be offering two conditions..... that they accept less than the full amount and delete their reporting.

Your chances of acceptance may be better if you counter with only the one concesion of CR deletion, and offer to pay the full amount.

If they agree to deletion, regardless of the agreed amount paid, it is always prudent to get written acceptance.

However, some debt collectors are reluctant to put such agreements in writing in view of their credit reporting agreement with the CRA, which includes statement of the CRA policy that furnishers should not delete based on payment of the debt.

Their agreement is an oral contract.  Your decision as to whether you require written affirmation.  If it kills the deal, you might forgo that requirement.

Message 5 of 6
navistar
Regular Contributor

maybe offer to pay 70% with a delete.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.