cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do about medical collection....

tag
windupbird
New Contributor

What should I do about medical collection....

I called the OC today, they want me to pay them $138 plus $35 for having to send this to collection.  OK, fine.  I doubt they will delete (I can ask but they were snippy/rude on the phone).  I have not paid yet.  Should I try calling the CA tomorrow?  I want to PFD.  I am in Massachusetts.  The dispute comment is likely from Lexington Law sending a debt validation letter.

Collection on debt to:

The collection agency "0000000000" was hired to collect a debt of $138 on account number "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX".             

Collection agency [?] Original balance [?] Current balance [?] Date assigned [?] Account number [?] Account holder [?] Account descriptions [?]
$138
$138
Dec, 2006
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Individual
Consumer disputes this account information Medical
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What should I do about medical collection....

What's the Dec. 2006 date for?  Is that the DOFD?  If so, what's the SOL of your state?   $35 because they had to send it to collections?  They can eat that.  If your SOL is 5 years or less, this might give you an opportunity to get snippy right back at them.   Look at the DOFD and your state SOL and post it back on here if you can.   Thanks!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 11
windupbird
New Contributor

Hi Shogun - the SOL is 6 years for written contracts in Mass.  DOFD is April 2006.  This is more info from my Equifax report:

Medical
(collection agency name)
Agency Address: 
Date Reported:09/2012
Date Assigned:12/2006
Creditor Classification:Medical/Health Care
Creditor Name:(dentist name)
Account Number:XXXX
Account Owner:Individual Account.
Original Amount Owned:$138
Date of 1 st Delinquency:04/2006
Balance Date:09/2012
Balance Owned:$138
Last Payment Date :N/A
Status Date:09/2012
Comments:Consumer disputes this account information, Collection account
Message 3 of 11
diabla
Regular Contributor

Does that mean its already past SOL?  And could possibly drop off your CRAs early next year anyway?

Message 4 of 11
Yoli14
Regular Contributor

Do the HIPPA process. I've done it with a few medical collections and they were deleted. I can email you the steps, if you like? 

Myfico on 02/21/12
Trans: 538 EQ: 591 Ex???
Myfico on 10/09/12
Trans: 600 EQ 602 EX???
Lender Pull 04/15/13
Trans 680, EQ 644, Ex 608
"I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it"
Message 5 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It's past the SOL.   Offer them $50 for a PFD, and yes, it's near the end of the CRTP.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

The derogatory collection will report for another full year. That's kinda long time away for an impatient person. Was LL unable to handle this account for you? I doubt the CA will agree to a PFD offer over the phone. You stand a better chance sending a letter.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 7 of 11
windupbird
New Contributor

Thanks, yes if you could please PM me the HIPAA steps, I know that there is something I need to do before sending payment to the OC.  Thanks all for your help.  I want to pay it but want to do it the right way - giving me the best chance at deletion!

Message 8 of 11
windupbird
New Contributor

LexLaw did get it to delete on TU but not EQ,  I am going to try the HIPAA process.  I have two other meidcal collections (paid one last month and CA agreed to delete over phone), the third and last one I am not ready to pay yet (almost $500 for an ambulance for my son, I had started a new job and my insurance had not kicked in yet at work).  This one I'd like to get squared away because the amount is relatively small and I just want to get it off my report!

Message 9 of 11
diabla
Regular Contributor

Although its not recommended, I had one CA agree to a PFD over the phone, and seems to have fulfilled their promise (still confirming but all signs look good).  I guess they're not ALL slimy liars!  I had a good feeling about the collector I spoke to, she just sounded really nice and sincere.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.