cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do first to improve credit scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do first to improve credit scores?

I really need some advice on how I should attack the negative items on my credit reports to improve my scores.  Here are the negative items that I need help with.

Belk charged off $700.66 1st late 11/2010

Chevron/Texaco charged off $0 balance (went to collections but has been paid) 1st late 9/2011

Macy's closed account due to inactivity showing 2 lates (1) 30 day and (1) 60 day.  I was never late on this.

Amex charged off $1,266

Amex charged off $824

Amex charged off $3,340

Trustmark Bank 4/1/1 lates paid off 1st late 12/2009

Planters Bank 9/0/0 lates paid off 1st late 9/2011

Planters Bank 6/0/0 lates paid off 1st late 12/2009

Planters Bank 1/0/0 I was never late on this account.

I don't have any accounts that are in collections nor do I have any negative public records. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What should I do first to improve credit scores?

I would start good willing the older lates like Macy's.  save up a few hundred and hit the lower balance charge offs up for a pay for deletion, see if you can get that in exchange for a lump payment significantly off the owed amount.  Your total owed is only about $6500...not a huge number, it could be worse.

A new secured card to start building a new and good payment history, perhaps a Comenity card or two via the SCT (you need to be careful though, don't charge them up)

Message 2 of 7
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

what's most recent? the oldest stuff should fall off first.. I would dig into whatever is most recent.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the DoFD ( Date of First Delinquency ) for the charged off accounts? It may be different than the first late if you brought the account current after that. Any lates on accounts that aren't charged off will be excluded 7.5 years from the date of the occurrences.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will definitely send good will letters to Macy's, Planters Bank, and Trustmark.  I was approved for 3 Capital One cards last year with the following limits:

VentureOne $4000 limit $1,400 balance

Platinum $3500 limit $700 balance

Quicksilver One $2500 limit $600 balance

I haven't had any lates and always pay for than the minimum balance.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex cards are the most recent they were opened in 2006 and became delinquent around 2011. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DOFD is the same as the 1st late. What's the berst way to handle the charged off AMEX cards?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.