cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with this collection account?

tag
Searay255

What should I do with this collection account?

This is a Verizon Wireless account. This only shows up on my Equifax report. Should I pay it? Try for a PFD? Or just wait for it to fall off? What date would it fall off? It says that the date of the first major delinquency is 07/2013. This is off by about 4 1/2 years. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Status: COLLECTION ACCOUNT  Account Owner: Individual Account.  High Credit: $207   Type of Account : Open Credit Limit:   Term Duration:   Terms Frequency:   Date Opened: 07/01/1999   Balance: $207   Date Reported: 05/11/2014  Amount Past Due: $207  Date of Last Payment:   Actual Payment Amount:   Scheduled Payment Amount:   Date of Last Activity: N/A Date Major Delinquency First Reported: 07/2013  Months Reviewed: 1  Creditor Classification:   Activity Designator: N/A  Charge Off Amount:   Deferred Payment Start Date:   Balloon Payment Amount:   Balloon Payment Date:   Date Closed:   Type of Loan: Telecommunication/Cellular  Date of First Delinquency: 01/2009  Comments: Consumer disputes this account information,
Collection account  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: What should I do with this collection account?

Welcome to the forum 

Explain off by 4 1/2 years?

Sounds like you should be doing PFD's but the question above needs to be answered before determining if you should wait for it fall off as well 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
CaptainConcorde
New Contributor

I would recommend contacting them with a PFD letter and going from there.  Get them to agree in writing to delete the account from the three CBs if you pay in full.  I wouldn't try waiting until it falls off because these things have a way of cropping back up to haunt you. 

Erik

In My Wallet:

Total Credit Lines: $11,100 - Utilization: 8%

Mortgage and Car Loan:

Rebuild Started March 2024
March 2024 FICO 8:

April 2024 FICO 8:

Message 3 of 7
Searay255

This was a charge for closing an account early. This occurred in early 2009 but yet they say the first major delinquency was in 2013.
Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Searay255 wrote:
This was a charge for closing an account early. This occurred in early 2009 but yet they say the first major delinquency was in 2013.

The DOFD is the key date its in 2009 the listing says so, the DOFMD is irrelevant in FCRA timetables a major derog is 90+ days and I guess they just didnt bother repporting it until 2013.

Message 5 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Searay255 wrote:

PFD in that case

Even tho you could take a chance with a dispute for incorrect reporting which would probably get it updated which may benefit or hurt you.

Forum trick....Quoting 

Under the message you wish to reply to 

Click reply 

Top right hand corner 

Click quote 

Enter response Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 7
Searay255

I have read that people have trouble with PFD with Verizon. Any tricks to make this happen?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.