Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

tag
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

What should I do?

My final, one and only reporting collection account is stumping me.  It is only showing on my EX report for starters (that's good), but I cannot verify it.  I have sent a DV - ignored.  I have disputed with EX - they apparently received verification, but have not provided me with that info.  

I know this much:

1.It is for $667

2.It is for Cox Communications (cable/internet company)

3.The CA is RGS Financial

4.EX report says it is supposed to report until 12/2014

The kicker is I have never ever had an account with Cox.  The only cable/internet providers that I have ever had are Qwest, Direct TV, and Dish Network.  I even checked to see if any of these are affiliated with Cox in any way and they are not.  I called Cox and they have no record of me in their system.

The thought of sending them a PFD (or GW after payment) and paying $667 for something that is not mine really chaps my a$$, but I don't know how else to get this removed.  I do not want this lingering on my report for a year and half.  What should I do?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What should I do?

Your DV requires, as verification, that they obtain confirmation from the creditor of your actual obligation for the debt.

But, of course, that verification has no set period for response.  So you just sit...

Since they have also reported to your credit file, you have the option of additionally disputing the accuracy of their reporting.  A collection requires identification of the creditor, so their reporting, in your opinion, is inaccurate, and thus legitimate basis for a dispute.

I would suggest filing a direct dispute under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8), thus putting them under a statutory period to provide verification of the accuracy of a debt with that creditor.  You may wait forever for response under the DV process.

If you want to step it up, and put yourself in a position to require documentation from the creditor, you could also consider the debt to have originated from potential identity theft, and thus begin the identity theft process under the FCRA.  That process requires that you first file a police report, which is necessary to invoke the provisions of the FCRA.

Message 2 of 5
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Robert.  I will get a dispute letter out to them CMRR.  Am I correct that they have 30 days from receipt of the dispute letter (plus 5 days for mail) to respond?

Message 3 of 5
onquestfor700s
Established Member

Hi, did you have any luck? I as well have a collection for Cox Communications on Experian through RGS Financial and some how it was verified. I never had an account with them. Did you send a letter directly to Cox Communications? Any help you can give would be appreciated. I want this off my report it is for $773.

Lanier CU 2,500/ Capital One QS 1,750/ VS 900/ Loft 750/ US Bank Secured 500
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, the direct dispute process requires the furnisher to respond directly to you within the same period imposed on a CRA had your dispute been directed through them.

In most instances, they have 30 days to complete their investigation, and an additional 5 days thereafter to send wriiten notice of the results of their investigation.

However, dont expect them to provide documentation should they verify.  All that is required under the statute is that they complete an investigation and send a finding of the results to you.  It may not provide you "proof."

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.