Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do?

Hello,

Two years ago, I had two collection agencies removed from my credit reports on old debts (one i disputed and the other just fell off).  This month, I recieved letters offering 50% settlement offer on both accounts --- it wasnt a typical debt collection letter.  Should I still send another DV, or just ignore?   We are in the process of doing our mortgage and I dont want any suprises.  The debts are both out of SOL. 

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: What should I do?

Are they out of CRTP?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes -- but I know the collection agencies arent to be trusted on following the rules. 

Message 3 of 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

I'd make sure I had any proof of the DoFD handy and promptly ignore them.  And I'd make sure I was monitoring my CRs daily.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have monitering on all three reports.  I was going to send a DV just to be on the safe side -- but I dont want to stir up any trouble, either.

Message 5 of 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

I'm going to defer on this one.  I think the DV only holds weight if it's within 30 days of the 1st contact, which has clearly expired since you dealt with them 2 years ago.  I wouldn't put money on it, though.  I still think "ignore" is the answer and that they're probably hoping you'll just pay it out of fear.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.