cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I tackle first? Collections!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I tackle first? Collections!

My CR shows as

Accounts

Capital One - $0 - closed - Last Date of Payment shows February 2009

First Bank - $291 - closed - Last Date of Payment shows as April of 2009

Verizon Wireless - $357 - Closed - Doesn't show Last Date of Payment

Open Collections Accounts

Portfollio RC - an old Capital One card(The one listed above) $1195

CBE Group - an old Directv Bill - $830

3 Medical accounts (2 are my ex husbands, 1 is mine.) - Totalling $67 (shows on EQ and EX)

I can afford to get the Verizon Paid off with a month for sure. I can Pay off the medical today. The medical won't be removed, I already spoke with a creditor. I am not sure why Capital One and Collection Agency are both on my report. Should the both be? Could I get one removed. I don't want erase everything. I don't want to seem nonexistent to lenders in the future. 

I have a current secured credit card with capital one, that has $200 I pay the bill on that every single week so I do not miss payments and make mistakes like I did in the past. 

I want get some things removed, to raise my score. My score should around 564, but I am not 100% on that it was a 548 as of a couple weeks ago, this was a TU FICO, and I have had a duplicate collections account removed. CK showed my 536 go up to 552, so this is just an estimation. I just want the best way to tackle this so I can get my score up high enough to be able to buy a home with my husband in the next 6-12 months

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: What should I tackle first? Collections!

I think Capital One sold the debt to Portfolio RC they it is being reported.  On the medical debt contact the provider of the service and see they will pull the account from the collection agency for payment in full. How old are some of these debts ?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the First Bank and Verozon accounts are both delinquent, they coould both be charged-off and then referred or sold to a debt collector, which could also result in a collection.

They appear to have additional reportable major derogs, and thus might be my priority above the ones already in collection.

What is the DOFD and SOL status on each debt?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Debts are from Fall of 2012. I called the CA and asked if I paid in full if they could remove it from my account, and they strictly told me no they cannot remove it from my report. I wouldn't have an issue paying if that was the case.

CBE Group is July 2013

Portfollio RC is February 21, 2013 - I have no way to pay this off in just 2 weeks. I could over the course of a few months but not weeks.

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Medical Debts are from Fall of 2012. I called the CA and asked if I paid in full if they could remove it from my account, and they strictly told me no they cannot remove it from my report. I wouldn't have an issue paying if that was the case.

CBE Group is July 2013

Portfollio RC is February 21, 2013 - I have no way to pay this off in just 2 weeks. I could over the course of a few months but not weeks.

For those medical debts use the HIPAA Process you can Google it.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been researching, and I honestly don't understand the HIPAA Process at all, its very confusing for me. But Thank You for the information. I contacted CBE Group, and I got a settlement offer to pay 50% of the Balance, in two installments. I have to have the settlement paid before I can talk to them about removal. Which is big portion of the amount I owe. 

CBE Group, I owe 830 but they are settling for $415

Verizon I owe 357, I am going to contact them next.

First Bank I owe $291, but will be 7 years old next year and will fall off then. (Reason why my ex husband didn't pay it, supposedly)

MCPS-Medical Debts totalling around $69 I am hopefully going to be able to get it removed with HIPAA

Portfollio RC 1,195 - I honestly, Have no idea how I am going to pull this one off. I know it is not a crazy amount. But I am trying to pay off some financing as well. 

Is it possible they would settle? It was from an old capital one credit card when I was 18. I only had a $300 Limit, so almost $900 in late fees and interest. I feel that is just so high.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a PFD from CBE, but did pay in full. I told them i had some money to pay things off, and anyone that would delete was getting priority. If the money ran out the ones at the bottom of the list weren't getting paid. That got them to fax me a PFD pretty darn quick. I think they might have been the first one I got. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.