Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Member

What should my next move be?

Hi all, still on my journey to improve my credit and just wanted to get some advice as to what I should do next.

Here's where I am:

As of 3/6/17 My Fico 8 scores. Hopefully they'll improve once my Cap1 QS starts reporting.
EX - 641
TU - 620
EQ - 633

I have an auto loan that I have had for 10 months, on time payments.

I have four store cards (via the SCT)

Overstock, Eddie Bauer, William Sonoma and Coldwater Creek all with very small SLs.

I just got approved for a Capital 1 QS card $300 (hasn't started reporting yet).

Current utilazation is down to 2%, which seems low to me, not sure.

Depending on the CRA, my AAoA ranges from 0.6 - 3.9 years.

My goal is to become a member of the 700 club ASAP.  Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

Fico8 Scores
Jan '17
EX - 568 | EQ - 605 | TU - 583

Mar '17
EX - 641 | EQ - 633 | TU - 620

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: What should my next move be?

Hello @kittenbreath!

Our scores are very similar and I'm sure someone with much more experience will chime in with detailed suggestions but one idea would be to add one more bank card then garden the heck out of what you have for a while. I was recently approved for a Discover It card so you may have luck there. I hear the pre-approval is pretty worthless but I applied thinking I would take the secured card, if need be, to start building with them and was approved for $1200SL. YMMV but I'd recommend considering it.

In the garden until spring 2018. Final date to be determined by closing on my new house!
Valued Contributor

KittenBreath wrote:

Hi all, still on my journey to improve my credit and just wanted to get some advice as to what I should do next.

Here's where I am:

As of 3/6/17 My Fico 8 scores. Hopefully they'll improve once my Cap1 QS starts reporting.
EX - 641
TU - 620
EQ - 633

I have an auto loan that I have had for 10 months, on time payments.

I have four store cards (via the SCT)

Overstock, Eddie Bauer, William Sonoma and Coldwater Creek all with very small SLs.

I just got approved for a Capital 1 QS card $300 (hasn't started reporting yet).

Current utilazation is down to 2%, which seems low to me, not sure.

Depending on the CRA, my AAoA ranges from 0.6 - 3.9 years.

My goal is to become a member of the 700 club ASAP.  Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

You have the right pieces in place.

The next move is to be patient and wait. 

If there's nothing left to get rid of or take care of on your reports, really all you can do is wait it out.

Spend time on the boards helping others get out of pits of sub-600 scores to feed your credit hobby and check in on your scores monthly. You'll see them start to grow bit by bit.

EX08 659 EQ08 660 TU08 695 Starting: mid 300'sGoal: 700
Regular Contributor

I would definitely say get another bank card. SCT cards will only give you toy limits and don't have a real ability to grow into real CL that you can use. You already have capital one... maybe try Discover? You are in that weird credit score that you are above most subprime cards but not big enough yet to get an AMEX. I got one of my credit cards through my local CU. 

At the beginning of my rebuild I had SO add me as an AU to his accounts to raise my AAoA and show bigger credt lines. 

Also with QS, make sure to ask for a CLI every 6 months. 

Good job on your UTIL. 

Starting Scores: September 2015 - 500 across the board
Current Scores: March 2017 EQ: 692 TU: 692 EX: 680

In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $5K - SDCCU: $1.5K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $15K
Established Member

[ Edited ]

Thanks everybody for the replies and great suggestions.  I know that I definitely want to get another bank card, just a bit gun shy about inquiries that don't convert.  Also, I'm trying to decide if I want to refinance my car or upgrade to a new one. The interest rate on my auto loan is ridiculous, which I totally get given my credit situation last year. Are my scores strong enough for a decent refi?

Update: So, I decided to bite the bullet and apply for the Discover card.  Yay, I was approved for the Discover It card!  Now, I can relax and do a bit of gardening. Smiley Happy

DiscoverIT.jpg

Fico8 Scores
Jan '17
EX - 568 | EQ - 605 | TU - 583

Mar '17
EX - 641 | EQ - 633 | TU - 620

Regular Contributor

Congrats! I was pretty sure you could get one since I did. Now we can kick back and watch them grow.

In the garden until spring 2018. Final date to be determined by closing on my new house!
Community Leader
Epic Contributor

The highest weighted scoring category is your payment history.

Next steps in improving your payment history scoring requires knowledge of each of your payment history derogs, their type, age, and current status (still delinquent, or paid)

Include any charge-off or collection, along with its date of first delinquency, if known.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.